• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH - advantages and disadvantages?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WFH - advantages and disadvantages?

Chance of a gig with a significant amount of WFH.
    Sounds ideal to me, less commuting etc. but I'm beginning to wonder if there are drawbacks.
    For instance, no commute means finishing work and then getting the "so your home, you've got time to put those shelves up, or ok can you feed/bath the baby". Not sure if I'd rather be sitting on a train having a kip lol.

Having never really done much WFH before not got a huge amount of experience.

For a start, no-one in the house, brilliant, no-one to bother you. But my house is like mad house at times with kids, wife etc around. I can just imagine it - can you just watch the baby for 10 mins etc? I just know it would happen.

Cheeky cow works some fridays and sometimes shes home. Shes already said - don't work from home on fridays when I'm there - thats my day off! Cheers love! Must admit having to talk to the Mrs all day and having no peace and quiet doesnt fill me with joy either....

So come on you lot - experiences and tips please?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Get an office and lock the door or issue invoices to the mrs per your day rate for every interruption.

Comment

@Mods - Please move this thread to General. Many people would be dying to reply

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
        Get an office and lock the door or issue invoices to the mrs per your day rate for every interruption.
        Or tell her shes got to pay a pennance every time she interrupts me! Might be better.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post

It is a serious discussion about the pros and cons of WFH.....

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post

Tempted, but no.

I work from home regularly and have done for years (first time on a 14K modem...). My wife (who is in paid employment) understands that I'm not available for domestic stuff. It is an absolute necessity, however, to have an office to work in. You cannot possible work effectively off the dining room table, for example. If you haven't got a spare room, then turn one other room into your part-time office - and when you're using it, it is off-limits to the rest of the family.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Tempted, but no.

I work from home regularly and have done for years (first time on a 14K modem...). My wife (who is in paid employment) understands that I'm not available for domestic stuff. It is an absolute necessity, however, to have an office to work in. You cannot possible work effectively off the dining room table, for example. If you haven't got a spare room, then turn one other room into your part-time office - and when you're using it, it is off-limits to the rest of the family.
              This.
              If I didn't have a proper office I have no doubt WFH would be a disaster. As it stands it's the norm for me.
              Wifey also has an office on a different floor and quite a way away.

Nobody disturbs me, except the dog, but he's allowed, he keeps my feet warm.

As for the OP:

PROs:
              Work in your pants (optional)
              No commute
              Better sleep patterns
              More monies
              Decent kit such as monitors etc
              A chair you can rely on
              Nice toilets (no terrorism)
              Decent coffee
              Tunes
              Lunch in the kitchen, at home, not some grebby "Team Room"
              Nothing is NSFW
              Dog on feet (optional)
              I can vape at my desk
              I'm in when deliveries come

CONs:
              You have to buy a desk/monitors/chair you can rely on
              Can't put off paying the internet bill for long
              Less face time with colleagues and stakeholders (this might actually be a PRO)
              Struggling to find many to be honest.
              Last edited by LucidDementia; 11 November 2015, 11:17. Reason: I like to confuse
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Chance of a gig with a significant amount of WFH.
                Sounds ideal to me, less commuting etc. but I'm beginning to wonder if there are drawbacks.
                For instance, no commute means finishing work and then getting the "so your home, you've got time to put those shelves up, or ok can you feed/bath the baby". Not sure if I'd rather be sitting on a train having a kip lol.

Having never really done much WFH before not got a huge amount of experience.

For a start, no-one in the house, brilliant, no-one to bother you. But my house is like mad house at times with kids, wife etc around. I can just imagine it - can you just watch the baby for 10 mins etc? I just know it would happen.

Cheeky cow works some fridays and sometimes shes home. Shes already said - don't work from home on fridays when I'm there - thats my day off! Cheers love! Must admit having to talk to the Mrs all day and having no peace and quiet doesnt fill me with joy either....

So come on you lot - experiences and tips please?
                I find it really hard to focus at home. Cousy sofa, nice music, warm etc. Makes me want to sleep. You won't see much sunlight, won't talk to anybody and will quickly get depressed, and it your case you will start having headaches because of noise and kids. So. not really a fan of WFH

Comment

I got a gig where I can work from home at the moment however with a 7 day old baby I choose not to.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Tempted, but no.

Thanks for the input NAT.

Luckily, I do have an office of sorts - garage conversion. Still think its going to be a bit of a culture change - if it happens that is.

Not quite sure what my Mrs is thinking - thats the worrying thing. Shes harping on that I'd "get in her way and get on her nerves on her day off" but I don't think she understands that No I wont I will actually be working.

I can also foresee a bit of - its 530 why can't you do this now? Tell them (client) to do one your not working for free. Doesn't understand sometimes.

In a way I can see missing office a bit. Current client is pretty nice etc. Although saying that there are past clients that had a really bad office environment.

Comment

Working...
                    X