• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH - advantages and disadvantages?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Biggest pros: Commute, work/life balance, being able to play with your bits whilst working

Biggest cons: Cabin fever, missing key conversations that you don't realise make up part of the essential project information.
    Surely????
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Surely????

You disgust me.

Again.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Surely????
        Hope you have your own mouse
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yes I can imagine that. If you're in the office then potentially no-one bothers you, but, by working from home, and being an expensive contractor, someone is going to make it their mission to ensure they're getting moneys worth.

To be honest, after over a year with 3 hr + of my day commuting, it sounds nice. Commuting is not the issue (I kip on the train) I've got used to it. Its just so much of your life is wasted. And its almost impossible to schedule things in the week due to time of getting home. Doctors appt, dentist, kids parents evening, kids xmas play.

BUT then again, its a bit of peace and quiet until I get home to the madhouse.
          i think the best solution would be to do a mixture of wfh and working in the office.

i myself only wfh if i have doctors appointment/take deliveries etc.

i would love if i can wfh more often though as believe it or not, some of us actually work better at home then at a noisy busy office

Comment

I couldn't do WFH more than 1 or 2 days a week. I'm a bit of a joker and like the banter at work.

Pro's: I generally work in London so that's a midweek stop over. Just 1 day WFH a week swings the balance massively as instead of the split being 4 nights away and 3 at home, it's 3 away and 4 at home. It shouldn't make much of a difference but it's absolutely massive to me. 3 nights away gives me a little ME time. 1 day WFH allows me to have a lie in and in the course of the day a) clean my fish tank (1 hour) and b) do some business paperwork (maybe 1 hour a month). Saves me doing those tasks on a weekend.

Con's: Missing the banter but for 1 day a week it's not really an issue. Also the fact that I'm usually glued to the computer, more-so than when I'm in the office, because of fear of the messenger app reporting 'away from desk for 45 minutes'. Whereas 'in the office' I'm often away in the coffee room, on the phone, walking around the block, etc, at home I'm stuck in my office most of the day. I even take a short lunch.

1 day per week. Perfect.

Comment

How much of a pay cut should you be willing to take for the privilege of WFH?

Comment

Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
                How much of a pay cut should you be willing to take for the privilege of WFH?
                About half normally.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Would echo the one day per week WFH thing. With current long commute every day, 5 days a week does wear you down. I get to Friday and I'm knackered. Then its a short weekend and back to it.

Even one day per week would make a massive difference to me. 4 days travelling instead of 5.

Some weeks I stay over one night just to have a change/rest though.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    About half normally.
                    Half what?

AYSYCOTBAC?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      About half normally.
                      yea all those saying wfh on same rate is rare and probably lying lol because lets face it, no client will hire a contractor to work from home for same rate as a contractor working in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X