• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References before interview??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat
    What they generate by this is leads for their sales. They do not generate the contracts. Without this fishing there would still be contracts.
    But if they make a sale, then someone somewhere got a contract. This is a good thing for both parties right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
      There are other ways of generating new business leads which don't involve stitching up contractors and spamming their referees. If individual agents were a bit more co-operative, transparent and honest, they might just find this information supplied willingly and for free, say over a pint. ?
      Yep, I once worked at a site for two years. During that time the client had multiple other requirements for contractors. My guy didn't get a look in simply because he made no attempt to keep in touch with me, or the manager. How hard is it?

Originally posted by Mordac
      I've been in the position where the "preferred" agency can't fill an urgent requirement. Where do you think I'd prefer to send that business? S3, or an agency which treats its contractors with a bit of respect?
      I think that you will find you are in a very small minority of people who can influence this decision, who know the difference.

tim

Comment

Gotta agree with you Tim.

The chap I was dealing with at MSB was great. Actually came and bought coffee for me on a number of occassions (I cannot be bribed, but I can be pursuaded ).

Because we had an actual business relationship Id throw bits and pieces his way when I caught wind of it.

However some other f9ckers who tried to do me out of several thousand pounds and then wondered why I never passed them any info...they were a different story altogether!

Mailman

Comment

The MSB? "Great?" Are you sure?

Good point Tim, but there must be a fair few contractors (or ex-contractors) out there who have been stitched up by the S3 mob and who are now in positions where they need to hire contractors (I'm occasionally one of them). I have a preferred agency I deal with, but if I didn't S3 would be way down the list (and probably off it altogether).
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
          X