• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed on breaking into Contracting (in Finance)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    the same reason your local coffee shop goes under 6 months after a starbucks opens down the road - because clients have heard of them
    What an awful statement to open a discussion with. A complex comparison answered by one statement is no good and isn't going to end well... which it didn't. There are many many more reasons why this happens. Focusing on just this one is total fail.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      If a Starbucks opened down the road from a decent independent, I'd stick with the decent independent. Starbucks coffee is average at best. I'd heard of Ratners. I've heard of RyanAir, I'd heard of Enron. Just because you've heard of someone doesn't mean they're any good.
      that was my point - they're not any good, they're almost certainly worse than the decent independent but 90% of people driving through who think "I'm going to get a coffee" will go to the starbucks, and the local will close down - it's happening everywhere, ditto with mini tesco's doing over local shops, etc

starbucks is definitely not any good, but lots of people choose them over a local independent because they know what they'll get

hence my analogy for a big consultancy getting the job just because they're known rather than because they're better than the independent contractors

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What an awful statement to open a discussion with. A complex comparison answered by one statement is no good and isn't going to end well... which it didn't. There are many many more reasons why this happens. Focusing on just this one is total fail.
        i didnt have time to sit down and think about it

Comment

A common theme it appears.....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i'm offering my opinion, same as you

Comment

There's always a niche one can carve, but as others are saying, getting into Financial Services and hoping to make megabucks is a silly idea at this point in history.
              Banks are overburdened with regulation, find it hard to find alpha and are a bit behind the curve in terms of software and dev practices.
              Basically you'll be better off pretty much anywhere else, unless you're a masochist and enjoy long hours, average pay and the fear of losing contract any day.

Comment

Well it isn't really. We're in IT within FS, you're in engineering.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You can accuse northernladuk of many other things, lack of thinking through his responses is not one of them.

"I'm going to get a coffee" will go to the starbucks, and the local will close down - it's happening everywhere, ditto with mini tesco's doing over local shops, etc
                  Again, poor examples, In London, at least, there has been a huge rise in independant coffee shops.
                  Did you read about the fact that Starbucks left Australia, it was due to the high quality of their independants?
                  I wouldn't say Tescos are a good example either, they are reducing the amount of "Express" stores...

Tesco closures: is your local store getting the chop? - Telegraph

Maybe, if you engaged brain, before fingers, people would take your comments more seriously.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Well it isn't really. We're in IT within FS, you're in engineering.
                    so i'm not offering my opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

You can accuse northernladuk of many other things, lack of thinking through his responses is not one of them.

Again, poor examples, In London, at least, there has been a huge rise in independant coffee shops.
                      Did you read about the fact that Starbucks left Australia, it was due to the high quality of their independants?
                      I wouldn't say Tescos are a good example either, they are reducing the amount of "Express" stores...

Tesco closures: is your local store getting the chop? - Telegraph

Maybe, if you engaged brain, before fingers, people would take your comments more seriously.
                      my mistake, i forgot anything that happens outside the tfl map doesn't count

Comment

Working...
                      X