• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Re: agency wanting money back on behalf of client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: agency wanting money back on behalf of client

I am a supply teacher who had a 4-month paternity job lined up from mid-Oct until early-Feb back (Place A) in July. This meant that from 1st Sep to mid-Oct I had to fill in the gap with something else. Indeed, I got a job with a different agency with the promise of at least 3 weeks work (Place B) in September/October. The Place B job was also worth £35 more per day than what I was going to get in Place A (but was only Monday to Thursday). However, with regards to the Place B job I was covering for someone who needed a knee op and therefore it was totally unpredictable as to when that person was going to come back. On Fri 2nd Oct I did the handover day in at the Place A. The following week another development arose, meaning that the Place B job needed to get someone for the rest of the year and I managed to get that by Wed evening. With a heavy heart I contacted agency representing Place A to explain that I was going to pull out (3 days notice) and they were quite reasonable on the phone. Since then however, they have left a voicemail on the phone, saying that Place A wants its handover money back even though I still worked that day and incurred 100-mile roundtrip costs etc and wasn't available for other assignments. What is the (legal) situation on this?

Interesting this. Spoke to my other half and she's had this at her school. Someone came in to be trained up and didn't stay so they refused to pay the agency. Apparently this is the understanding with supply teachers. The schools just don't have the money to be wasting like this. In SWMBOs situation everyone was on the same page and there was no trouble.

I would guess legally you did a day and you got paid. It will all be in a contract somewhere so I'd guess legally you are in the clear.

That said my other half thinks you are right of order and have messed the school about and word gets around so it's going to come back and bite you at some point.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you happy to charge them for not doing any work?

Comment

The legal situation is for you to read and understand your contract. We can't do this for you.

If the contract states you don't have to pay them back if you don't complete your assignment and give them sufficient notice as stated in the contract then legally you don't.

The ethical situation is complety different. Also whether it comes back to haunt you depends.....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          The legal situation is for you to read and understand your contract. We can't do this for you.

If the contract states you don't have to pay them back if you don't complete your assignment and give them sufficient notice as stated in the contract then legally you don't.

The ethical situation is completely different. Also whether it comes back to haunt you depends.....
          Read and pay attention to that post especially the bold bits. Contract wording is actually much easier to understand than most people think.

Comment

Working...
          X