• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offer withdrawn and looking for feedback

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offer withdrawn and looking for feedback

I work as a contractor and so does my husband. He's just gone through a month long interview and onboarding process with a Tier 1 bank only to have the offer withdrawn at the last minute.

In a nutshell, the client required that he provide a document for every month over the past five years that he wasn't working to prove that he was looking for work and not secretly employed.

He provided emails between him and recruiting agencies for all the months except for three. These were periods where we weren't travelling, working or looking for work. We're expats from Australia, so one month was a break inbetween finishing a contract and returning to Australia for three months to get married, and the other two months were this summer where we were made a few trips around UK and hosted relatives from back home.

All documents we could think of we provided (train tickets, emails of him organising the wedding!) we were told 'were not acceptable', and despite him repeatedly asking the recruiter what type of documents would be acceptable he got nothing. They were just completely useless.

My question is: is this type of onboarding requirement standard now? The one thing the recruiter could say is apparently 'if you want to work at a Tier 1 bank they all require this now'. We've been working here for five years for Tier 1 banks and this is the first time either of us have been asked to provide this level of detail.

I also can't believe that they withdrew the offer, he passed every check but for the sake of three months out of five years?!?! FFS.
    Last edited by Pollypanda; 7 September 2015, 16:26.

Last bank I worked with required a financial history check thing which got a little complicated when it came to a few weeks I wasn't working so had to provide bank accounts and the like to prove I wasn't detained at her majesties pleasure or taking a break somewhere out in Afghanistan etc. Took 3 weeks end to end but they did it while I was on site. I did see someone walked there and then because they failed the check some how.

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to your situation. No point asking the recruiter. The vetting agent will be asking and they don't give feedback so the agent won't know.

I expect you'll never find out what was wrong. They looked and said no. I'd bet that's the last you'll hear of it and no amount of arguing will change their mind. Time to move on. I assume he was continuing to look for work while all this was going on??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

but surely he's employed by his company

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
        Do you have a contract of employment with your ltd? Are you constrained to NMW? Am guessing no. That would make you self employed trading through a limited wouldn't it?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 7 September 2015, 16:54.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Last bank I worked with required a financial history check thing which got a little complicated when it came to a few weeks I wasn't working so had to provide bank accounts and the like to prove I wasn't detained at her majesties pleasure or taking a break somewhere out in Afghanistan etc. Took 3 weeks end to end but they did it while I was on site. I did see someone walked there and then because they failed the check some how.

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to your situation. No point asking the recruiter. The vetting agent will be asking and they don't give feedback so the agent won't know.

I expect you'll never find out what was wrong. They looked and said no. I'd bet that's the last you'll hear of it and no amount of arguing will change their mind. Time to move on. I assume he was continuing to look for work while all this was going on??
          Thanks for the feedback northerladuk. It does sound similar. Now that you mention it, they did suggest bank statements for those months but it wasn't for the reasons you gave, it was to 'check that he wasn't receiving income'. I don't know why. Based on that reason, my husband said no as it would not give them the answer they wanted. We have a business account with my income coming in as well, plus he had a delayed income during those months from his previous contracts. In his personal bank account he receives a salary every month that's not related to when he's working. What would be the point? Anyway....

The recruiter and the vetting agent were one and the same. Apparently it was the three months, he passed all the other checks the recruiter said, but who knows, I always take recruiters comments with a grain of salt. He had a shout at the recruiter and now he's over it. Not the best way to handle it, but I can understand, they were so bloody useless. He was continuing to look, and will just get on with it now.

It's all good learning experience isn't it! He'll have better questions to ask next time

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Do you have a contract of employment with your ltd? Are you constrained to NMW? Am guessing no. That would make you self employed trading through a limited.
            That's correct, we're both self-employed trading through limited

Comment

I've seen an offer withdrawn because someone couldn't find a degree certificate from a foreign university - vetting agencies don't mind contacting UK universities for confirmation of course attendance but get pedantic about start and end dates rather than months.

I've no idea what confirmation they need but I was out in 2012 for three months and they accepted a statement from me that I was looking for work during that time (virtually nothing doing summer 2012 due to the Olympics combined with summer holidays and Jubilee).
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

A month long interview process!? That should have been a red flag to anyone. if the client is that anal, its a no from me (and Ive worked in Finance for the last goodness knows how many years).

Is it normal for Tier 1 banks? Not in my experience.

Is there anything you can do? Yes, move on.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

This sounds nuts, it's easier get SC'd.

I wouldn't submit to such garbage, but I can understand if you're somehow locked into the banking industry you don't have a lot of choice. Is this really common?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I've seen an offer withdrawn because someone couldn't find a degree certificate from a foreign university - vetting agencies don't mind contacting UK universities for confirmation of course attendance but get pedantic about start and end dates rather than months.

I've no idea what confirmation they need but I was out in 2012 for three months and they accepted a statement from me that I was looking for work during that time (virtually nothing doing summer 2012 due to the Olympics combined with summer holidays and Jubilee).
                    Just amazes me the obstructions companies put in the way to find a candidate. What would be wrong with contacting a foreign university if it was the right person? My husband was so far along the process this could have been resolved within an hour if communication was better but no, they prefer to go back to the start of the recruiting process? Stupid.

He was too honest, being upfront about when he was looking for work and when he wasn't. Next time he'll probably do the same thing and just say hey, looking for work the whole time

Comment

Working...
                    X