• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best/Most diplomatic way of turning down role after client interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Jesus, this place is turning into mumsnet!
    Indeed.

To the agent: Sorry, I've got a better offer. I wanted to let you know asap so you have a chance of putting your backup candidate in. You do have a backup candidate, don't you?

To the client:
    It was a pleasure to meet with you. I haven't yet received any feedback from <agent>, however unfortunately since our meeting another commitment has come through so I am now currently unavailable until <date>. I wanted to let you know asap to reduce the potential for inconvenience. I am still very keen to work with <clientco>, if there are any future requirements that you wish to discuss then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
      ...Which would you go with?
      None of the above ?

I'd decide what price would make it worth my while to take the unpreferred role. £1M per hour ? £20 ph ? Up to you.

Then if/when I was offerred it I would ask for that rate. If/when I'm also offered the preferred role I would put in a bid at the rate I want for that role.

There is no reason why the quoted rates need to be the same or even similar, and there is no reason why the unpreferred role should be quoted at a market rate : just whatever it would take to make it palatable.

Boo

Comment

Money is money business is business just be straight up about it tell them you decided the role was not for you. Few agents will ever be apologetic if you did not get the role most will not even bother telling you either.

To most agents if you did not get the role to many of them that means your a waste of their valuable time (even though a lot of the time picky clients are the reason most experienced contractors do not get roles) so professional courtesy from them to you goes straight out the window.

But its a 2 way street what goes around usually comes around again

Comment

Working...
        X