• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How soon do you start looking for new role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How soon do you start looking for new role?

My current contract runs until end September - and it has been 3 years+ since I have had to look for a new one. I started applying this week and got some calls but for everyone, it seems too soon. I work in Banking/Financial domain and most places 4 weeks seem to be minimum on-boarding period due to usual checks - that is after you are offered the contract - so working backwards 2/2.5 months seem reasonable.

I wouldn't mind just hanging on there but is there a risk in starting too early i.e. Your CV coming up in too many searches and seen as if I am looking for ages? I do not want to compromise on rate so want to avoid any panic after starting late (from experience).

I don't look, I get calls....

Comment

Assuming you don't want time off, beginning of September.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirajn123 View Post
        My current contract runs until end September - and it has been 3 years+ since I have had to look for a new one. I started applying this week and got some calls but for everyone, it seems too soon. I work in Banking/Financial domain and most places 4 weeks seem to be minimum on-boarding period due to usual checks - that is after you are offered the contract - so working backwards 2/2.5 months seem reasonable.

I wouldn't mind just hanging on there but is there a risk in starting too early i.e. Your CV coming up in too many searches and seen as if I am looking for ages? I do not want to compromise on rate so want to avoid any panic after starting late (from experience).
        Why dont you just go permie? I mean 3 years at the same place effectively makes you a permie.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Why dont you just go permie? I mean 3 years at the same place effectively makes you a permie.
          Absolute nonsense.

Comment

No harm to start looking right now. If they say it's too soon - skip that one, you might find something else.

Comment

I've worked in banking and 4 weeks certainly isn't my experience. I start looking around 2 weeks before end of gig and never had more than a week on the bench unless by choice.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                Absolute nonsense.
                Not absolute nonsense but doesn't strictly make him a disguised permie either. Certainly in a very grey area and could be a real problem. All depends on the details. I'd certainly start feeling very uncomfortable after that length of time though.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Not absolute nonsense but doesn't strictly make him a disguised permie either. Certainly in a very grey area and could be a real problem. All depends on the details. I'd certainly start feeling very uncomfortable after that length of time though.
                  I would be climbing up the walls and sort of defeats the object of contracting (money aside) but could genuinely be attached to a very long project.

Comment

Lots of businesses have long-term B2B relationships. Length of engagement is almost irrelevant in importance compared to the working practices. The fact that OP is leaving now appears to indicate no MOO.

Comment

Working...
                    X