• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you do stay just don't forget the lavish cakes and nibbles on the last day!!!!
    Now that bit is a given! I do plan to have something of a hurrah on the last day. I do have good relationships with the vast majority of people here.

Comment

Originally posted by 01smicha View Post
      The reason I ask is because obviously that is a possible outcome of the situation. I'd rather ask here and find out its not, than blindly continue and potentially miss out on a bigger payday. I am not trying to screw anyone over, I am just trying to get the best deal for myself.

I had no intention of 'hardball', just wanted to know what the normal practice would be!

Surely even you would agree that it is better to ask those with more experience in these situations, rather than f*** it all up without doing the proper research.
      No but we would expect you to think things through. Asking for more money at the very end could be construed as blackmail by the person you are asking....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think I will stay, as it has been said it is only 2 weeks or so, and I'm not living pay check to pay check, I can afford some down time.

The whole paid late thing is more a matter of principle. If I'm doing my work well and on time as agreed, then I want to be paid on time. My world wont fall apart if it's late, I just consider it bad form.

Comment

Originally posted by 01smicha View Post
          The reason I ask is because obviously that is a possible outcome of the situation. I'd rather ask here and find out its not, than blindly continue and potentially miss out on a bigger payday. I am not trying to screw anyone over, I am just trying to get the best deal for myself.

I had no intention of 'hardball', just wanted to know what the normal practice would be!

Surely even you would agree that it is better to ask those with more experience in these situations, rather than f*** it all up without doing the proper research.
          Fair enough but note what Eek says.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 21 July 2015, 09:48.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Feel free to screw him over. Plenty of other decent contractors would be happy to clean your mess up and make some good mullah from it.
            Moolah

You seem to be spending loads of time on the Middle east section of BBC !

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Moolah

You seem to be spending loads of time on the Middle east section of BBC !
              Hmm, quite correct it seems. I really should check Urban Dictionary a bit more often when I am responding.

Comment

You are willing to destroy your relationship with your client after a year just for the sake of two weeks extra? Seriously? Jesus Christ. Great level of professionalism that is. You can kiss goodbye to any invites back should anything juicy comes up. Throw 10's of pounds away in the future for the sake of two weeks.

Feel free to screw him over. Plenty of other decent contractors would be happy to clean your mess up and make some good mullah from it.

No you can't charge a higher rate. The clients budget won't be flexible like that and it's going to take longer to get that approved that it will to do the work. You work in a service industry and a decent contract gets a lot of work from previous clients. Do the job properly and take a bit of pride in that, let alone think about the relationship longer term.
                No didnt say that. I agree what you say that it may be possible to shift things with the new client.

But at the end of day, I'd have a conversation with the original client if it turned out it was a case of stay two weeks with them and lose out on a 6 monther. How many people, in reality wouldn't see the contractors point of view here?

I've had it in the past. Client was well keen for me to review for a month but I explained I had a long one close to home lined up. Tried my best to accomodate them but at the end of the day, to be fair to the guy, he was a bit disappointed but understood from a human being point of view so no drama....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Pissing clients off and ruining future potential work is a bit short sighted if you are trying to look after number 1 in the long term isn't it? That's not being a professional, it's being a mercenary and I don't see anywhere where being a mercenary works in the long term.

If you were any good at what you did negotiating a week delay with the new client to do most of the work for your old client isn't exactly hard.
                  Get plumber in to fit my new bath which he does. Right at the end, I ask him to fit a new washer on one of the taps next week - 1 hours work. He says sorry I've got a big job lined up for weeks after. I'll try and fit you in if I can but not sure.

Never in a million years is he gonna say tell you what I'll can that new job just to finish off that tap of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    I stopped reading after "it happens eventually" if you are in the situation where you need each and every invoice to live on you are doing something wrong.

First and foremost for me professionalism is the key, I stay to the job is finished (it even cost me a holiday in Spain last year) but I am now on such high regards with the Client I know I will be the first called back for repeat work.

Secondly if we are talking 1-2 weeks, what makes you think that a new gig would start that quickly, by all means look now but make people aware of the situation, it could stand you in high regards with new clinets that you show some loyalty to existing clients
                    I'm in high regards with my clients too, you may be surprised to learn! But that also know that they can't take the p*ss.

Also, whereas I want to be asked back and often am, I do prioritise being held in high regard with my mrs and kids. So no cancelling of holidays for me.....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Get plumber in to fit my new bath which he does. Right at the end, I ask him to fit a new washer on one of the taps next week - 1 hours work. He says sorry I've got a big job lined up for weeks after. I'll try and fit you in if I can but not sure.

Never in a million years is he gonna say tell you what I'll can that new job just to finish off that tap of yours.
                      That's a pretty poor analogy to be fair. The type of work, length of engagement, timescales and planning. Not a single thing that compares.

Comment

Working...
                      X