• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 15 Recruitment Agency tricks...!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pashton73 View Post
    This is the dirtiest trick that the agencies pull. If the agent has multiple contractors going for a position, the agent will only submit those with the lowest rate so that their margin is maximized no matter who gets the contract.

For example, if the client has agreed to pay £100 per hour for a consultant and the agent has 4 contractors who have said that they will accept £55, £57, £60 and £80; the contractor who wants 80 per hour will NOT be submitted because the agent would only make 20% margin as opposed to 40% plus on the lower 3. However, the agent will tell you that you’ve been submitted at 80 per hour when you have not been submitted at all. The agent does not care if the £80 per hour contractor is the best candidate, margin matters, nothing else.

SOLUTION: Do not give the agent your rate when asked. Instead, ask the agent what the best rate is that the client is willing to pay. When the agent suggests a derisory rate (55 or so), simply agree and ask to be put forward the silly rate the agent is telling you. You will most likely get the interview and beat the other candidates because they almost certainly not as qualified as you. It is important that you tell the client at the interview that you want the job and that if anybody (the Agent) tells the client that you’re no longer interested or have taken another position then have them call you directly to clear up the misunderstanding.

The agent will call you to give you the good news. At this point, tell the agent that the job is not more complex than described and you will only accept the position at 80 per hour. The agent will tell you that they have to check with the client to see if your new rate is acceptable. This is a lie, the agent will call the client and tell them that you are no longer interested or available but the other candidates are available.

The client will then call you directly to clear up the misunderstanding as requested. At this point you tell the client that you accepted the position at 80 per hour. The client will then know that the agent has lied to them, dump the agent and call another agent with the instruction to hire you at 80. – 20 years experience of IT contracting

Your solution to a problem that is not as common as you might think, might work about 1 in 10 times. In the other 9 times you just lost a role, GL using this approach on every application in the current market, better get reading on JSA, you will need it.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      Your solution to a problem that is not as common as you might think, might work about 1 in 10 times. In the other 9 times you just lost a role, GL using this approach on every application in the current market, better get reading on JSA, you will need it.
      Paging PC!

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        better get reading on JSA, you will need it.
        Dunno about that. We don't have enough information yet to prove he's a failed contractor.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It potentially works in the fixed budget areas but many clients are getting wise to the tricks agencies pull and going with a percentage model. They'll often ask for a range of candidates to see what they get for their money - what does 40 v 60 v 80 per hour get them for example.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            It potentially works in the fixed budget areas but many clients are getting wise to the tricks agencies pull and going with a percentage model. They'll often ask for a range of candidates to see what they get for their money - what does 40 v 60 v 80 per hour get them for example.
            Did anyone try to ask a client about their budget during interview? What were the answers?

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
              Did anyone try to ask a client about their budget during interview? What were the answers?
              Nope.

Sometimes they have a figure written upside down on a sheet of paper.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Nope.
                What would happen if you do? It's probably in client's interest too to make sure that an agent is not pocketing half of rate sending a cheapest possible junior.
                Last edited by Criticular; 29 November 2016, 17:32.

Comment

If the agent I just got off the phone with happens to be reading this can I just point out that inventing a suitable sounding contract ten miles from where someone who has been looking for a new contract for five months before trying to get leads off them in a completely unsubtle way makes you a complete and utter scumbag in my book.

Really hope your parents are proud of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
                    What would happen if you do? It's probably in client's interest too to make sure that an agent is not pocketing half of rate sending a cheapest possible junior.
                    Oh clients will tell you about the budget for the work but not your rate. Though as I said some will show it to you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sometimes you can get the budget increased.

I have done this on a couple of occasions, after the client has spoken to me.
                      Usually I have made this clear to the agent prior, so the client is aware I want more before I go in.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X