• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you spend the last days of a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you spend the last days of a contract?

My contract is ending at the end of the month and i've finished all my work.
    Tempted to (work from home) for next 24 hours on the deck chair
    But how do you spend the last days of a contract? Job hunting / Surfing ContractorUK / Raiding the stationary cupboard ?

I'm a contractor - one of my rituals is to nip into Wilko's and build a stationary box better than the client's cupboard. As usual I gave my stationary box (a highly prized item I may say) away to the person who had helped me in the contract.

Basically I finished tidying up and offering to help after my contract ends.

You never know if this helps to gain a future contract
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Currently working last day today although it's possible that I may end up working tomorrow with month end, what I am doing is making sure there's full closure on projects, handover where needed and everything is filed sensibly so that any questions can be answered. My contract runs for another few weeks, but I want to take some holiday and all the big stuff I came in to do is completed so we've agreed an end date.

Comment

I'm in my last 3 weeks. Updating documentation, doing some POC stuff with Azure and some BAU stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
          I'm in my last 3 weeks. Updating documentation, doing some POC stuff with Azure and some BAU stuff.

Comment

Come in as normal, maybe buy some candy on my way there. Make sure handover is completed, answer odd question, maybe there still are a few bits of work to do. Talk to my manager (ouch permie alert!) if he needs anything, submit my last timesheet and (try to) get it approved. Tidy up my desk, make a round of teas, answer those "so what's next? have you found something already?" questions, write the last "thanks for the pleasure of working with you, let's go to a pub after work" email, check with my manager (omg wtf, permie alert again!) if I'm still needed at the premises, if not - go home or to a pub, otherwise sit my time out and go to a pub then. Buy a couple of rounds to now ex colleagues, go home.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              - it's about time I rejoined the forum

Comment

Writing/updating documentation, going one last time through the handover bullet points, tidying my desk and workstation, getting rid of all the "temp" stuff be it files or VMs or w/e, making sure i have a copy of all the useful scripts I wrote or "borrowed" during my tenure, getting a copy of key e-mails that i might need in the future as a proof for accomplishing something or absolving me of responsibility for a screw-up.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                  My contract is ending at the end of the month and i've finished all my work.
                  Tempted to (work from home) for next 24 hours on the deck chair
                  But how do you spend the last days of a contract? Job hunting / Surfing ContractorUK / Raiding the stationary cupboard ?
                  By being professional. If there's any related jobs I can do ie create desk aids, help sheets etc, I'll do that. If there's no work, I tell the client I'll take the rest of the time off as holidays.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Same as usual, do as little as possible and invoice

Comment

Working...
                    X