• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My permie has arrived. Should I make a honorable exit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My permie has arrived. Should I make a honorable exit?

Hi, My permie replacement has arrived. But I have another 2 months in my contract left. Having spent a decent enough time in this gig, it looks like my manager has given me an polite indication to leave as soon as the handover is complete.

I have nothing lined-up yet.

Should I wait for the contract period to be over or, make a honorable early exit as soon as the permie is up-to speed? What would make me look more professional?

Originally posted by Arnie365 View Post
    Hi, My permie replacement has arrived. But I have another 2 months in my contract left. Having spent a decent enough time in this gig, it looks like my manager has given me an polite indication to leave as soon as the handover is complete.

I have nothing lined-up yet.

Should I wait for the contract period to be over or, make a honorable early exit as soon as the permie is up-to speed? What would make me look more professional?
    What does your accountant say?

Hang on, what does your contract say, what are the terms that you can or they can give notice?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What does your Statement of Work / Deliverables say?

If by completing the handover you have completed your deliverables, then your contract is complete. Check that it's complete with whoever signs off on these things, and if there's anything more in the pipeline that you might be interested in, but this should form a new Statement of Work.

Comment

I'd presume that the OP is in control of the situation from a contract POV, but wants suggestions on what's "moral". I'd personally look at my finances/warchest and play the game.

If you expect more business from this client in the future, do the "honorable" thing, provide the knowledge transfer and leave on excellent terms.

Comment

Talk to the manager. Explicitly ask "Do you have any requirement for me in your organization after x has completed the handover".

If he says "No". Then say "Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to work with you all. I hope you have found my work to your satisfaction".

Then update your CV and start looking for a new role. Don't explain that you will be looking for a new role.

Under no circumstance look to exit your contract early until you have found a new role.

If they no longer need you then they should have a clause in the contract to allow them to give you notice. Make them take that route rather than making it easy for the manager by offering to finish early.

Keep turning up. Keep smiling and most importantly keep invoicing.

Comment

1. Keep invoicing.
            2. Do as little as possible.
            3. Keep invoicing.
            4. Brush up on old skills
            5. Keep invoicing.
            6. Learn new skills.
            7. Keep invoicing.
            8. Keep looking for something else.
            9. Keep invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie365 View Post
              Having spent a decent enough time in this gig, it looks like my manager has given me an polite indication to leave as soon as the handover is complete.
              Was he as cryptic with you as that is for us?

If he wants you gone, they will terminate your contract, he doesn't need to politely indicate you should leave.

As others have said, get your head down, provide the handover, and wait for them to terminate the contract. Shake the client's (not manager) hand and wish him/her all the best. Leave contact details in case they have any little queries after you've left.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Hang on, what does your contract say, what are the terms that you can or they can give notice?
                This - if your contract does not allow you to give notice then it's a moot point anyway.

If it does, then discuss with the client what their plans are once the handover is complete, and weigh up whether it's worth you giving notice. If it doesn't, then it's up to them to terminate the contract when they want / need to.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ah, sorry, I thought you asked what a contractor would do, but it turns out that everyone here is a bum-on-seat temporary employee that will wait for the client to say that it's okay to go home, rather than relying on defined deliverables...

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    Ah, sorry, I thought you asked what a contractor would do, but it turns out that everyone here is a bum-on-seat temporary employee that will wait for the client to say that it's okay to go home, rather than relying on defined deliverables...
                    I somehow doubt training the replacement permie is written in the schedule of defined deliverables. The fact you are being replaced with a permie implies that there probably isn't a defined deliverable..
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X