• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent to contract help required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your first mistake was thinking you may not be IR35 caught.

Your second mistake is telling your employer what you plan to do. You have given them reasons to put you at the top of the culling list.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I recently had a similar scenario. Yes you are IR35 caught and would very likely lose any sort of investigation. But if you are the gambling type and can handle the worry you would be very unlikely to be investigated. If you declare IR35 caught then just do the figures, lots of calculators out there, and then balance that against you will get canned ahead of the remaining permies when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by theeagle1972 View Post
        Looking into the possibility of moving from permanent to contract. The problem being I would be looking to do it at my current company.

Done a fair bit of research but I am still not sure where I stand.

I am intending to set up a limited company and would have to go through the agency that my current company uses. The agency have sent me a copy of their standard contract that they have said would comply with the IR35 issue. It covers everything apart from the 'Is your current client your last permanent employer?' which they will be. The agencies stance is, I will essentially be working for them so I am clear.

Having read numerous posts on here, I still think I am caught within IR35.

Subsequently, I have explored the possibility of moving to contract but working within IR35. Whilst not as rewarding, it would be an increase in my permanent staff salary.

So, could someone confirm if I am likely to be caught within IR35 and what is the general consensus about working within IR35?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
        Just ask for an increase in remuneration. I don't know why people want to complicate things so unnecessarily.

If they say no and it is really important to you, then find another role. Whether that is as a contractor, only you can decide but you cannot have the best of both worlds, you will have to give something up. The main one here is security (if you actually have any in the first place).

Comment

Those contractors may be coining a lot more but I'll give you a strong bet that they cost your employer less than you do and your employer has zero responsibilities toward them beyond basic health and safety rules. You may well also find their net take home is a lot less than you think from their day rate; the earning differential between permie and freelance is a lot less than it used to be. And then it's 20% worse if you are IR35 caught, which they probably aren't.

This isn't going contracting, this is giving your employer a get out of jail free card and an 18% saving on their costs. Apart from the loss of security, what do you think you're getting in return?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
          X