• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B Overdrive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    This is precisely the way I feel. Be 50 in a couple of years and the thought of competing with the younger, hungrier guys in the London banking sector really doesn't appeal. A lot of these guys code on an evening, on a weekend, when they're not coding they're blogging about it, when they're not blogging they're thinking about blogging, or coding, or both. Some of us have evolved to have a life outside all that stuff but were probably as hungry back then. It's not like I'm not marketable but I keep turning down decent paying contracts, the last one being another £ 650 role. Good rates but at the end of the day you actually have to turn up and 'do something'. And that's the issue. I've just had enough coding for end clients. I have a couple of good plan B ideas but by the time I finish coding at the end of the day I'm just burnt out so I hit the pub instead. Something has to change. I've felt like this for a long time now. It's probably time to take a risk or two to get where I want to be. Switch the phone off and stop taking calls from the agents who turn your head with decent opportunities. Really feel I'm 'done' with contracting.
    I'm 47, been doing Unix since I was 22. Nowadays I do it in the evenings and weekends too. When I am not doing unix I am blogging about it, or thinking about blogging about it. In my 20s I actually had more of a life outside of it than I do now. However I have no wife or kids.

Still sympathise/agree with what you are saying though.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      I'm 47, been doing Unix since I was 22. Nowadays I do it in the evenings and weekends too. When I am not doing unix I am blogging about it, or thinking about blogging about it. In my 20s I actually had more of a life outside of it than I do now. However I have no wife or kids.

Still sympathise/agree with what you are saying though.
      Maybe I just like getting p155ed then, who knows? :-D

Comment

It's not about the money for me, not that I'm minted, I'm not. It's about the realisation that there has to be some purpose to your life other than turning in decent rates. Must be something in Maslo's hierarchy of needs, probably 'self-actualisation'.
        Self actualisation; spend some hard earned on a spiritual retreat, or get a porsche ;-)

But seriously, 121s and career level reviews in permie ville don't lead to enlightenment either.

Earn it, spend it, enjoy it ✌️
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Self actualisation; spend some hard earned on a spiritual retreat, or get a porsche ;-)

But seriously, 121s and career level reviews in permie ville don't lead to enlightenment either.

Earn it, spend it, enjoy it ✌️
          Permie isn't an option. Can you imagine??

Comment

Permie isn't an option. Can you imagine??
            I think it has to be for me, because I reckon I have another 10 years to work yet. I am dreading the thought of being at a permie job, at the beck and call of some self-important director, in the office 5 days a week and on a relatively low income. But.... I need the training/experience in something new, and going permie for a couple of years might be the best way to get into new tech or a new area.

Comment

All this talk of going permie...

Just had a very interesting approach from an agent in Gibraltar - .Net dev for a start up in Malaga.

€50k per year - a pittance really but in the context of Spain not a bad screw. I could sell up here, get a nice house over there and be mortgage free.

Would be a one way ticket probably though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post

Just had a very interesting approach from an agent in Gibraltar - .Net dev for a start up in Malaga.

€50k per year - a pittance really but in the context of Spain not a bad screw. I could sell up here, get a nice house over there and be mortgage free.

Sounds like it would be a great way to wind down. I can't do that any more, wife and young kids ruined it all!

Comment

Read the expat forums on Gibraltar - as it's not all rosey. Malaga would be nice though.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post

I have a place in Malaga, well, 15 mins West of it. Wouldn't be interested in any permie roles over there though. When I bought the place 10 years ago there were some .NET contract opportunities in Malaga. I think if was Avanade who had offices over there. Not sure if they've shut it down since the recession as I haven't heard anything since.

However, not sure if I'd fancy working over there, particularly when it's sunny almost every day. Isn't it a better option just to do 6 months in London and then take 6 months off over there if you fancied winding it down a little?

Comment

Working...
                    X