• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Oh, and when they ask if travel is ok, try asking 'where to?' and 'how often?' You could have saved a trip there and not wasted everyone's including your time.
    I had asked him "travelling to where", his answer was between offices, which I am fine with, he omitted the International part. With my last two clients I did travel between offices, 3rd Parties etc. Lesson learnt.

I fail to understand why most of you think I'm after "royal treatment" but professional courtesy is what I'm after, but reading from your responses I guess that's never going to happen.

....and yes I am moaning and am frustrated!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Make the most of it before IDS brings in means testing for JSA imminently.
      No I'm not claiming JSA, should I be?

Comment

Forgot to say re: Head Hunted via LinkedIn I don't know how else to phrase that when a company directly contacts you, is that not being head hunted? I've had 2 interviews after being approached on LinkedIn.

....oh and regarding the interview I attended for SM when I'm a BA, the HR guy and I had a telephone conversation and he had a copy of my CV and had obviously viewed my LinkedIn profile and seen I'm a BA, we discussed that I was a BA. The JD was for a BA, so how is that MY fault?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterP0 View Post
          Forgot to say re: Head Hunted via LinkedIn I don't know how else to phrase that when a company directly contacts you, is that not being head hunted? I've had 2 interviews after being approached on LinkedIn.

....oh and regarding the interview I attended for SM when I'm a BA, the HR guy and I had a telephone conversation and he had a copy of my CV and had obviously viewed my LinkedIn profile and seen I'm a BA, we discussed that I was a BA. The JD was for a BA, so how is that MY fault?
          How about contacted or approached? Neither word carries the arrogant connotation of "head hunted" which was an absurd term popular in the 1980's & '90's.

Not uncommon for clients to have lousy requirements or a poor job spec they change at the last minute, some people are flexible and will seriously consider changes, alternatively some clients just have to make up the numbers when they have a preferred candidate.

Deal with it.

Comment

There is no point arguing it MasterP. Everyone had made their thoughts very clear to you. Arguing just makes you look even worse. You've had a bit of moan, everyone has pointed out you were incorrect to do so and you are still moaning. Not good really hey?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              There is no point arguing it MasterP. Everyone had made their thoughts very clear to you. Arguing just makes you look even worse. You've had a bit of moan, everyone has pointed out you were incorrect to do so and you are still moaning. Not good really hey?
              Odd really, I wonder how many times we've seen this scenario?

New ID comes along, posts absurd situation, argues against all the considered reasonable advice, advice becomes blunter, argument continues, ID gets banned in the long run for being a troll.

It makes me wonder what the ID creator gets out of this, it's predictable and never amusing.

Comment

Hi OP, with contracting, arrangements are often looser than with permanent. Any interview is good news and the more client people in that interview, the better, especially senior people like the director. If a company wants you to meet their director, that is a good sign. You are selling your business and a big/senior audience is good.

Contracting requirements are often thrown up at short notice. The client can't spend weeks/months refining the spec like they can for permanent roles. Often the client does not know exactly what they need. Then there are several people in the chain, so information gets more garbled. It shouldn't be a problem.

You are in business, dealing with other companies - clients, agents and so on. Each company acts in its own interests and they don't pretend otherwise. Can be a tad frustrating but it's all part of self employment.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  Hi OP, with contracting, arrangements are often looser than with permanent. Any interview is good news and the more client people in that interview, the better, especially senior people like the director. If a company wants you to meet their director, that is a good sign. You are selling your business and a big/senior audience is good.

Contracting requirements are often thrown up at short notice. The client can't spend weeks/months refining the spec like they can for permanent roles. Often the client does not know exactly what they need. Then there are several people in the chain, so information gets more garbled. It shouldn't be a problem.

You are in business, dealing with other companies - clients, agents and so on. Each company acts in its own interests and they don't pretend otherwise. Can be a tad frustrating but it's all part of self employment.
                  Thanks Unix. I guess it's assuming all will be professionals and communicate changes to original briefs. This time job hunting has really been an eye opener for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    How about contacted or approached? Neither word carries the arrogant connotation of "head hunted" which was an absurd term popular in the 1980's & '90's.

Not uncommon for clients to have lousy requirements or a poor job spec they change at the last minute, some people are flexible and will seriously consider changes, alternatively some clients just have to make up the numbers when they have a preferred candidate.

Deal with it.
                    Yes I am dealing with it hence having a moan about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterP0 View Post
                      No I'm not claiming JSA, should I be?
                      I don't know what you should or should not do. I wouldn't do it, but others (or one other) will disagree.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X