• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting from temp-permie to independent consultant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting from temp-permie to independent consultant

I've been contracting now for four years, having worked as an employee for about ten previously. I've been on the same contract now for two of those years - whenever time to renew comes around I have a look about, but happily where I am has continued to give the best rate.

I don't want to walk away from a good thing, but I want to look towards where I'm going long term. I think I should be moving towards supporting more than one client, or being able to bring junior staff in to support my engagements. Is that a typical progression - have many of you here done it succesfully and if so how did you start?

It's certainly a worthwhile thing to aim for, but I'm not sure it's a common progression.

I don't know any contractors I've ever worked with who have done it.

There is a software company I am aware of near me which started as 2 contractors at the NHS who bid on an NHS contract, won it, and started things from there.

Comment

Career graph for me similar to OP.

My current 2-yr contract has recently switched to work from home with flexible hours, so I am using this time to look around for other contracts and hopefully build my client base. I am looking at (very) short term contracts - the kind that say "1 week duration but with a possibility of repeat work in the future". In fact I have an interview on one of those this week.

Comment

It's all about building contacts. The way to get more than one client is to do it by word of mouth not via agencies. No agent is ever going to put you forward for a role while you are working for another client, but when the client comes to you it's much easier to work things out.

I currently have 3 clients. 1 Direct, two via agencies, all obtained via personal contacts. The agencies are only there because procurement rules mean those clients can't deal direct.

While that all sounds great, it's taken 7 or 8 years to get to this point and takes a fair bit of juggling to keep everyone happy.

The same would apply to subbing or taking on people to work for you. You need the relationship with your clients for them to accept this, and is arguably harder to do as you are asking them to accept someone else when what they really want is for you to do the work.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddylast View Post
          I've been contracting now for four years, having worked as an employee for about ten previously. I've been on the same contract now for two of those years - whenever time to renew comes around I have a look about, but happily where I am has continued to give the best rate.

I don't want to walk away from a good thing, but I want to look towards where I'm going long term. I think I should be moving towards supporting more than one client, or being able to bring junior staff in to support my engagements. Is that a typical progression - have many of you here done it succesfully and if so how did you start?
          Having multiple clients, yes, I would say that's somewhat common, although not typical. In practice, I've generally had an uneven mix at any given time, usually with one major client, rather than an even distribution. Personally, I wouldn't touch bringing on permie/temp staff as that isn't why I got into contracting (in many ways, it will restrict your freedom more than being a permie), but I'd happily subcontract work (although not for small pieces, given the new reporting requirements). If you're going down this road, you'll need to build a network, become familiar with procurement processes and will likely work direct rather than via an agency. The obvious question is whether you have the foundations in terms of a (reasonably) unique skillset and network to support that, because a client is unlikely to take a risk unless they have to.

Comment

Thank you all, that clarifies things a bit. Looks like a good long term goal, but not something that will happen by accident, or overnight.

Comment

Working...
            X