• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period Pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with sueellen, reason for termination is critical here. If project ended / no more work, then id check contract on t&c's, consider commercially whether you want / need that reference and the contract value to you "to date" versus notice period etc. Need a bit more info on why it ended...

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      Ask yourself this - if you'd agreed to pay a builder for days worked (as long as work was available AND you were happy fro them to do it), would you expect to pay them their notice period if there was no work to do and/or you were unhappy with them?

You are the builder.
      Bad analogy.

You're most likely going to pay some percentage of the whole cost up front to the builder (who has to purchase goods and materials) for some amount of building work you want him to perform.

Imagine you want your kitchen extended and it'll take 2 weeks. You agree to pay 25% up front with the rest on completion, but after 2 days, you fire the builder.

Do you think you'd ever see any "refund" from the 25% you've already paid?

You are not the builder.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And thabks for clarifying I'm not an utter fool. Nicest thing you've said to me
        He only clarified that you are not the utter fool in question here.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          He only clarified that you are not the utter fool in question here.
          Ahh. Thanks for the clarification
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dizza2 View Post
            Hi All,

First time posting on here, and also my first contract role, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question:

My contract has been terminated early, and they do not need me to work my notice period, does this mean I can invoice the client my notice period?

You can always try. Read your contract and see what it says about early termination and notice periods. Talk to your agent first (helps if you're on good terms with him/her), as it will be the agent getting the money for you. Some people have succeeded (myself included), some not.

Comment

Working...
            X