• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents and rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents and rates

I've recently started looking for the next role as this one is coming to an end soon. As I've managed to source a fair amount of my work directly in the last year or so I'd almost forgotten how much of a pain it can sometimes be talking with agents. My latest pet peeve is the one where, even before showing you a role they ask your daily rate, or better still what your current rate is. Whilst I realise that this is one of the more/most important parts of contracting, I'd like to know what I'm potentially getting myself into first, before I start quoting numbers, and it certainly isn't any of their business what I'm getting now.

The way I tend to deal with it is by telling them that after speaking to various people about roles so far, I believe my rate to be at the mid-higher end of the current market. Out of interest how do you guys deal with this posing question?

PS I'm sure I've seen a thread on this before, I've tried a number of search terms but couldn't pluck it out.

When asked about my day rate, I always tell them that it depends on the role, travel, etc along with what is expected of me from an expertise point of view. I then ask them what the client is willing to pay.

When asked about my current rate, I give out information depending on how far into the conversation we are. If that is the first question, I usually try and tell them that every contract is different and my rate depends on the expertise, travel, skills etc. I give more specifics only after I know who their client is and what the role involves.

Comment

Kinda been discussed a lot..
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ag...pvd=1&ie=UTF-8
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yesterday:

"Paying Up to X"
        "Ok, I pretty much need X for it to be worth while"
        "No problem"
        "blah blah blah"
        "And what's your current rate"
        "I'm contractually forbidden from discussing that - but i'm currently in a totally different geographic area, so I suppose it's not really relevant anyway"
        "Sure... trouble is we have to fill in something - the client requires it"
        "Ok - put down X"
        "Fine."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Nice one NLUK!

[Leaves to go on how to use Google course]

Comment

Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
            Nice one NLUK!

[Leaves to go on how to use Google course]
            The best place to look is in the FAQ section. There is a sticky on the best way to search forums with some good little tips.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              "Sure... trouble is we have to fill in something - the client requires it"
              "Ok - put down X"
              "Fine."
              Yeah, sure "the client" requires it. I can just hear the conversation between the client and the agent, "and make sure you find out their current rate, it will be a dealbreaker".

Comment

Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
                My latest pet peeve is the one where, even before showing you a role they ask your daily rate, or better still what your current rate is.
                I tend to laugh at that stage and just say "you know better than to ask me that". The next response is "market rate". And if they really push it "client confidential".

After that, they've probably hung up on me
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Some agencies always want the CV changing too. Doesn't matter what the CV looks like they will want it changing. Usually with no clue what the hiring manager is really looking for. Amazes me some of these agencies stay in business.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I tend to laugh at that stage and just say "you know better than to ask me that". The next response is "market rate". And if they really push it "client confidential".

After that, they've probably hung up on me
                    In that case there wasn't a real role in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X