• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview style

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago I once had a 5 stage interview for an Aussie bank in the city. This was for a contract position as well.

Anyway by the time I got to stage 5 (Meet with HR) I had already 3 other contract offers in the pocket.

Needless to say I went for the best one and the Aussie bank were a little miffed.

I explained to them that the contractor recruitment process should be much quicker than their permy-like process hence they lost me.
    Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
      A few years ago I once had a 5 stage interview for an Aussie bank in the city. This was for a contract position as well.

Anyway by the time I got to stage 5 (Meet with HR) I had already 3 other contract offers in the pocket.

Needless to say I went for the best one and the Aussie bank were a little miffed.

I explained to them that the contractor recruitment process should be much quicker than their permy-like process hence they lost me.
      Blimey. You'd think they would be used to losing people with a 5 stage interview process.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For contracts:

Best interview - 20 minutes of, basically, is your CV BS or are you a spanner I can't stand. Spent over 2 years at that gig :-)

Worst interview - none really. They have all been okay.

For Perm:

Worst interview - 11 stages. They were short ones but were one after another. I was there for over 3 hours, no break just repeatedly talking to different people. Blew an easy question in interview 10 and got dropped. Although, apparently, they are monsters to work for anyway.

Best interview - just over an hour with the MD talking about 15c history. About an hour talking to the programming team leader discussing WoW and then an hour or so with a HR girl who asked me out at the end of the interview despite knowing I was married.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I interview them...
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            For contracts:

Best interview - 20 minutes of, basically, is your CV BS or are you a spanner I can't stand. Spent over 2 years at that gig :-)

Worst interview - none really. They have all been okay.

For Perm:

Worst interview - 11 stages. They were short ones but were one after another. I was there for over 3 hours, no break just repeatedly talking to different people. Blew an easy question in interview 10 and got dropped. Although, apparently, they are monsters to work for anyway.

Best interview - just over an hour with the MD talking about 15c history. About an hour talking to the programming team leader discussing WoW and then an hour or so with a HR girl who asked me out at the end of the interview despite knowing I was married.
            If you didnt do the business over the desk then YNCOTBAC
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Blimey. You'd think they would be used to losing people with a 5 stage interview process.
              It was terrible.

Stage 1) Phone call with manager and lead code monkey

Stage 2) Face to face with manager

Stage 3) Face to face with department manager

Stage 4) Face to face with IT Director

Stage 5) HR Rubber stamp.

The mind truly does boggle as to why they couldn't separate the permie / contractor recruitment process. Surely they would have done this by now.
              Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
                It was terrible.

Stage 1) Phone call with manager and lead code monkey

Stage 2) Face to face with manager

Stage 3) Face to face with department manager

Stage 4) Face to face with IT Director

Stage 5) HR Rubber stamp.

The mind truly does boggle as to why they couldn't separate the permie / contractor recruitment process. Surely they would have done this by now.
                That requires HR to have 2 brain cells between them, which if they did would mean that the recruitment industry we all know and love would die a death...

Comment

Working...
                X