• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract to perm

Been at the same gig for a a couple of years, contracting through limited.

End-client has been growing exponentially. They seem to be creating various new roles, manager roles etc.

Obviously going from perm to contractor at the same place is a no-no. What about the reverse, what considerations apply, should this be similarly ruled out?

The manager role I'm describing would be quite distinct from what I'm doing currently, involve work on other projects, line management, etc. Seems like the cash would be interesting even vs. contracting.

I wouldn't of thought hector would mind you paying more tax, same workplace or not.

Comment

Plenty of people go perm at a place they previously contracted at. So long as you're comfortable that your IR35 status was good in contract and working practices terms there's no risk.

Comment

When I went contract to perm my last contract was at client X and new permy was at company Y totally different. HMRC noticed the change through my tax returns and queried it though took them about 1.5 yrs to ask, they knew I had gone permy and also had a ltd they asked if my permy role was my last and previous contract client, it shows that HMRC are looking for this and query it unless I was really unlucky, as I have not heard anyone else have the same, this was in last 6months.
        I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
          When I went contract to perm my last contract was at client X and new permy was at company Y totally different. HMRC noticed the change through my tax returns and queried it though took them about 1.5 yrs to ask, they knew I had gone permy and also had a ltd they asked if my permy role was my last and previous contract client, it shows that HMRC are looking for this and query it unless I was really unlucky, as I have not heard anyone else have the same, this was in last 6months.
          Didn't they ask about your expenses now that your last temp location is now a permanent one?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Didn't they ask about your expenses now that your last temp location is now a permanent one?
            It was different clients and location completely, last client was up north new permy was down south. I just gave them last contract and new permy contract and never heard anything more.

Comment

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
              Been at the same gig for a a couple of years, contracting through limited.

End-client has been growing exponentially. They seem to be creating various new roles, manager roles etc.

Obviously going from perm to contractor at the same place is a no-no. What about the reverse, what considerations apply, should this be similarly ruled out?

The manager role I'm describing would be quite distinct from what I'm doing currently, involve work on other projects, line management, etc. Seems like the cash would be interesting even vs. contracting.

Nothing wrong or to worry about going contractor to perm with the same client provided the client isnt your one and only contract (means you have to pay back all travel expenses). In fact, a number of clients Ive worked at have asked me to go perm. But Ive always politely turned down the approach.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

From the coms I got on the matter they were comming from an IR35 perspective, it was within the last 6 months. I got the impression this may be a new angle for them, considering the number of people I've seen go contract to perm who operated outside of IR35 only ever had one client and the pew permy role is just a conversion of their contract role I'm not supprised to be honest, it's very, very common in the city /banks.
                Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 27 April 2015, 19:37.

Comment

Working...
                X