• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A funny thing happened....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A funny thing happened....

It's like this. I see a role advertised by an agency on Jobserve, put in an application. Five mins later I get a call from the agency, who we will call Agency A, 'loving your cv, etc etc'. Anyway, I agree that they can represent me. About a week later, Agency B, who have a good reputation, (Agency A is very high on the list of agencies to avoid...) call me about same role. I tell them that I have already agreed to be repped by Agency A, even though I'd rather go with Agency B. We discuss fact that I haven't heard from Agency A and I am gently persuaded to let Agency B put me forward too.

Fast forward a week, Agency B contact me to say I have an interview. I've not heard anything at all from Agency A. I go to interview and am offered the role.

I ask myself, did I get lucky? how do we know when/if an agency actually does 'put us forward'? This is especially the case if they have to submit a limited number of applicants. What if after promising you they will put you forward, they get someone they think has a better chance of landing the role and don't actually submit your application? how can we be sure of anything??!!

this has been an on going topic of discussion about agents on here for years.

Comment

You did get lucky. Same happened to me and A popped up again. A bun fight ensued as to who should rep me and the client dropped me to avoid the hassle. Been happening from the dawn of contracting and will do to its death.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You did get lucky. Same happened to me and A popped up again. A bun fight ensued as to who should rep me and the client dropped me to avoid the hassle. Been happening from the dawn of contracting and will do to its death.
        But did A pop up once you had been made an offer? I know your usual position on this is to stick with the first Agency who put you forward, and I'd normally agree. I'm just intrigued by not knowing if you really have been put forward for a role. You only have the Agency's word that this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          this has been an on going topic of discussion about agents on here for years.
          Then I'm sorry to have woken you up. The weekend is coming!

Comment

the client dropped me to avoid the hassle
            Some people really will believe anything they're told
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
              But did A pop up once you had been made an offer? I know your usual position on this is to stick with the first Agency who put you forward, and I'd normally agree. I'm just intrigued by not knowing if you really have been put forward for a role. You only have the Agency's word that this is the case.
              No it was at interview stage. B got in with first offer and just by chance A intervened while I was sat in the car park ready to go in.

Way out of this is to reply to A and say you agree to represent you for the next X number of days. After that its open season.

Also try and find out as much about the client as you can. Some are easily identifiable by their location and industry and then go investigate the agent situation. Doesn't always work but worth considering in situations like this.

Granted you got the gig without hassle in this instance but I still wouldn't go making a habit out it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Some people really will believe anything they're told
                Client told me as I was in his reception by this point.

Comment

No it was at interview stage. B got in with first offer and just by chance A intervened while I was sat in the car park ready to go in.

Way out of this is to reply to A and say you agree to represent you for the next X number of days. After that its open season.

Also try and find out as much about the client as you can. Some are easily identifiable by their location and industry and then go investigate the agent situation. Doesn't always work but worth considering in situations like this.

Granted you got the gig without hassle in this instance but I still wouldn't go making a habit out it personally.
                  I am having a dense moment, forgive me. I know exactly who the client is, they interviewed me. I've accepted their offer so I don't think it likely that I'll hear from Agency A again. Agency B did all the hard work, as it were.

I did indeed get the gig without hassle but it was a high risk strategy. And if there's anything we contractors are used to, it's taking risks. (Does that sound cool enough??)

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                    I am having a dense moment, forgive me. I know exactly who the client is, they interviewed me. I've accepted their offer so I don't think it likely that I'll hear from Agency A again. Agency B did all the hard work, as it were.

I did indeed get the gig without hassle but it was a high risk strategy. And if there's anything we contractors are used to, it's taking risks. (Does that sound cool enough??)
                    Simples, don't update your LinkedIn and brush off the agent if/when he calls (it's not like they don't know how that feels) for the next X months and all will be fine

Comment

Working...
                    X