• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to make of 2 month extension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a sign of the market, I also had a project where the company just had 3 month extensions. If you get a better offer at some point then you can move on.

I would assume they will continue to extending until project completion at the end of the year.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You need to get use to the idea that not every company has an agreed budget for additional work after your initial contract.

I've had funny extensions working away before. Luckily I've managed to lodge with IT contractors who have been working elsewhere.

In regards to travelcards that's just part of the cost of doing business, and doesn't matter if you are local or not.
      My rule - never pay for more than a week season ticket for train. Its just too inflexible.

I've done 3 month one once then client says can you go tot his office for two weeks? Yeh I could have kicked off but it wouldnt have been good.

So now week at a time for me.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        It's a sign of the market.
        Actually it's a sign of how the finance people in that organisation work.

Some realise if they don't give long enough extensions they lose people while others don't care until they have lost people.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          My rule - never pay for more than a week season ticket for train. Its just too inflexible.

I've done 3 month one once then client says can you go tot his office for two weeks? Yeh I could have kicked off but it wouldnt have been good.

So now week at a time for me.
          For me a one month ticket into London is less than one day of billing, and the cost is equal to three weekly passes. Based on that, it's fully worthwhile taking. The price breaks, for me at least, are 1 week, 1 month and 1 year. Absolutely no point in taking a 3 month pass (even if I think I'll be somewhere for 3 months), and my clients change often enough that an annual pass is out of the question, as I haven't yet had two journeys on the same route / clients close to each other.

Comment

It's most likely some kind of budgeting issue. In my permie career I was one of the people managers (alongside my day job, of course!) in a largish business change & IT dept in a large financial services company - we had upwards of 100 contractors at any point in time and I had between 5 and 10 reporting to me at any point in time.

Over the years I did this there were all sorts of reasons entirely unrelated to how we felt about the contractor or their project why we were 'forced' to do this. We had a horribly onerous process for extensions or new contracts, not as bad as for permie recruitment but bad enough. This is not uncommon, so I'm led to believe from friends and colleagues. So we preferred longer contracts for people we rated - a 2 month renewal period means it's like painting the blinking bridge, a never ending cycle. However at various times we had edicts on cost-saving from Corporate Centre or elsewhere that introduced severe constraints. For example, at one point we managed all our renewals to less than 100k USD to avoid a further (particularly onerous) set of approvals being required. Therefore obviously different contractors got different contract lengths depending on their rate. We tried to smooth it a bit so it wasn't so obvious and I don't this the detail of this constraint was understood by our contractors but it must've looked odd. From a relationship perspective I was as open as I could be with 'my guys' and just used to say, "look there's a nightmare process and some really bad constraints. My intention is to keep you on for at least X months/ years (if you're amenable) but the only contract I can offer you is (shorter term). Therefore I know that we are taking a risk that you go elsewhere at the end of that and from your point of view you have less certainty."

So I'd treat them like adults, without disclosing detail I wasn't able to disclose, and it never caused an issue. They would inform me of holidays outside their contract period but within a period where they reasonably felt they would still be working on the project* and it all worked fine.

*this is why I've just replied indignantly to the other thread about clients saying no to holidays. That client is a monster. I was in this istuation so often as a client and just grateful if people actually bothered ot have the courtesy to check out with me whether their holiday outside their current project period was likely to cause an issue or not. I didn't treat them like they were my blinking property outside their contract period!

Anyway - I doubt there's anything sinister behind the short renewal but there could be, so it's all about your attitude to risk. As somebody said at the start, do you value the bird in your hand or the two in the bush more?

Comment

2 months - luxury!!

Current extension is 4 weeks (3 cos I am on hol!)

Reason being the Prog / Proj plans dont go down to task level and "the board" have queried what people will actually be doing. Hence a whirlwind exercise to produce work packages for the next 4 weeks (which enables resource planning and then £ sign off), and then another whirlwind exercise to produce work packagesfor the following 9 weeks.

Not ideal, but not worth getting to stressed over as summer is on its way

Comment

Working...
              X