• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Clientco with annoying parking rules is Vodafone in Newbury. Offsite parking, shuttle bus and all that tripe.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      Hi,

I've just landed a 6 month contract with Barclays in Knutsford. In the contract the notice period seems excessivly one sided in that they can terminate the contract with immediate notice while I'm unable to serve notice at any point. Has anybody managed to have this clauser changed and how would it fare with an IR35 test - surely it exhibits a hell of a lot of control!
      Do you have a sub clause? If so, then you can just send the sub in if you don't want to go anymore.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        So is this site out of the way or in urban centre?

If its out of the way in the middle of nowhere then I'd be a bit miffed if they wouldnt let me use car park (unless there was no space) and had to catch a shuttle bus. If its town centre then your on your own imho and makes no odds if permes get parking or not.
        Its out in the sticks.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The issue I have with th notice stems from my time at BarCap. I had a 12 month contract. My notice was 2 weeks. In about month 3 I was hit with the 10% rate cut. Unfortunately I'd just signed the lease on the flat and so was committed to that for 6 months. Then with about a month to go, I got a call from somebody from my agency to meet with them. When I did I was served my notice, had my desk emptied and ecorted off site. It was all down to BarCap having poor results that quarter and BarCap did this to me and a load of other contractors. The only upside of this was that they paid me my 2 week notice while I was sat at home looking for another job.

So if they have a zero notice period to me, then it means they can reduce my rate with no notice and issue me with a take it or leave it contract on the new rate, which if I accept I'd be tied into for the duration. Also, not being able to serve notice means if the job turns out to be a nightmare then I'd have to do the full 6 months before I could get out. That doesn't make for a good contract!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

So if they have a zero notice period to me, then it means they can reduce my rate with no notice and issue me with a take it or leave it contract on the new rate, which if I accept I'd be tied into for the duration. Also, not being able to serve notice means if the job turns out to be a nightmare then I'd have to do the full 6 months before I could get out. That doesn't make for a good contract!
            They wouldn't do that on the existing contract would they? Or do they have a history of terminating the existing contract immediately just to reduce the rate and offer a new contract with 10% rate cut? Or am I smoking something ?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Another Clientco with annoying parking rules is Vodafone in Newbury. Offsite parking, shuttle bus and all that tripe.
              BTDT which is why I probably wouldn't return. If the contract included onsite parking though...
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                BTDT which is why I probably wouldn't return. If the contract included onsite parking though...
                I would also add 'No Italians in the project'

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  They wouldn't do that on the existing contract would they? Or do they have a history of terminating the existing contract immediately just to reduce the rate and offer a new contract with 10% rate cut? Or am I smoking something ?
                  That's what I meant, terminate the current contract with no notice and issue another contract at the reduced rate with no get out.

I'm speaking to the agent later - I want to get some form or equality in the notice periods and get clarification on the parking.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

That's what I meant, terminate the current contract with no notice and issue another contract at the reduced rate with no get out.

That, strictly speaking, isn't true. Once the contract is terminated, you are free to go.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      So is this site out of the way or in urban centre?

If its out of the way in the middle of nowhere then I'd be a bit miffed if they wouldnt let me use car park (unless there was no space) and had to catch a shuttle bus. If its town centre then your on your own imho and makes no odds if permes get parking or not.
                      You are telling us something we already know.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X