• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds really quite awful!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      Sounds really quite awful!
      Just what I was thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        While I agree that contractors can't use visitor spaces, this is a poor definition.

Air con engineers will be engaged suppliers, contractually obliged to be on site. They often have the same sort of badge I do (marked "Contractor") and don't sign the visitor book. I can't see them parking off site and carrying their tools, ladders, other equipment on a shuttle bus.
        If my memory serves right, it was either psychocandy or Unix who made the same point a few weeks ago. It all depends on the nature of trade. IT contractors don't carry heavy tools for their job so the client isn't really "obliged" (used in the lightest sense) to provide parking on-site for H&S reasons. Having said that, one would expect the client to relax certain rules for the disabled(real ones) contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          Hi,

I've just landed a 6 month contract with Barclays in Knutsford. In the contract the notice period seems excessivly one sided in that they can terminate the contract with immediate notice while I'm unable to serve notice at any point. Has anybody managed to have this clauser changed and how would it fare with an IR35 test - surely it exhibits a hell of a lot of control!
          Standard barcrap clause Im afraid. Very much doubt anyone has had it removed recently. They like to have you over a barrel do barcrap. Avoid!

EDIT, One of the agencies runs a shuttle bus in the morning and evening. I believe its one time only in each direction so dont miss it LOL!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

BTW, all that crap for what sort of day rates?

Comment

DVLA do the same - sort of - contractors can park after 14:00 or something (can't remember) and if there's two in the car. Otherwise it's bus from Felindre.

Parking in visitor area will get your car converted to a metre cubed block, there were some in the basement near the server room......

The DVLA parking nazis are legendary, I got the first week with a visitors pass due a clerical error and I was a marked man in their eyes, the visitor part is for customers, i.e. old blokes with car tax problems.

You can't park in the estate opposite, slashed tyres and towards the end Clase Road was covered in double yellows, so it was the bus or find a space in posher estate near Swansea Boneyard....

Loved it there though, Swansea is ok....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                So is this site out of the way or in urban centre?

If its out of the way in the middle of nowhere then I'd be a bit miffed if they wouldnt let me use car park (unless there was no space) and had to catch a shuttle bus. If its town centre then your on your own imho and makes no odds if permes get parking or not.

You've obviously not contracted at a large retail client in Bradford then.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                  You've obviously not contracted at a large retail client in Bradford then.
                  The only thing one "Gains" on that lane is a slashed tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You are an engaged supplier who is contractually obliged (arguable but still) to be on site or have that site as his base... So you are NOT a visitor. The fact you have a normal badge and don't have to sign the visitors book might have been a clue as well.
                    and sure fire way to wind up client is to insist your a visitor and get to park where you like as if you're somewhat special....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                      If my memory serves right, it was either psychocandy or Unix who made the same point a few weeks ago. It all depends on the nature of trade. IT contractors don't carry heavy tools for their job so the client isn't really "obliged" (used in the lightest sense) to provide parking on-site for H&S reasons. Having said that, one would expect the client to relax certain rules for the disabled(real ones) contractors.
                      Going the other way - I think I mentioned the client I worked for who told permies and contractors alike not to park on the public road outside the office (but to use the overflow car park 10 mins away).

They thought it got too busy and looked bad that their people were clogging up the estate. My answer tough.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X