• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market very quiet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Only 40 miles away, that's practically next door in contract terminology
    Yeah but it's 40 miles along the M62 which means it'll take two hours to get anywhere.
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

I thought it was really busy. Getting calls and emails nearly every day, and haven't uploaded a CV in 2 years.

Comment

I am in SQL Server dev and just started looking out and thought the market looked very good. Rates much higher than in '12 and '13 (when I was last out looking) with even the non-financial and non-insurance contracts hitting the £500 mark.

Surprised to hear that your experience of the .NET market being such a contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          I thought it was really busy. Getting calls and emails nearly every day, and haven't uploaded a CV in 2 years.
          Depends on sector, skills and experience.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My recent experience is that there are two kinds of vacancies on Jobswerve etc.
            • £1000/day dream jobs that don't really exist
            • sub £300/day stuff in Wolverhampton intended for new arrivals to the contract market

The "in between" ground seems to be serviced by agents going through their existing contacts, so these positions tend not to get advertised.

Comment

Getting plenty of calls but not about anything concrete.

It's all along the lines of "can we go over your CV so that we can match you to anything that may come up in the future".

Though 75% relate to perm positions.

Comment

My last two gigs (inc current) have been direct. Have extended to July but really not looking forward to dealing with pimps again.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Means squat if they are just spamming you with roles because one word in the spec matches your cv or you live in the location of the role!

Id say 80% of mails dont match my skillset and only about 50% of calls are relevant.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Pre-election jitters/end of financial year for some companies. Most of the recruiters I speak to say they expect it to change in early May once the general election result is known & a new government formed until then unless its a business critical role the market is treading water & has been most of 2015 IME.

Rates are also terrible unless its a niche role like one for Murex I saw yesterday @ £800-1000 per day!
                    It would be a rate cut for me , but how does one get into Murex (as in learning/experience)- either through a permanent or contract opportunity?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      It would be a rate cut for me , but how does one get into Murex (as in learning/experience)- either through a permanent or contract opportunity?
                      Seriously? What on earth do you do?
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X