• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terminating Contract Early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icemancomeths View Post
    No, I have worked 60 days and this is an extension.
    Offer to work every Friday for the next 120 weeks. Then negotiate your 'life-changing' contract to 4 days a week.

Comment

No, I have worked 60 days and this is an extension.
      Then find yourself a substitute.

There are various avenues you can use to find one.....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Then find yourself a substitute.

There are various avenues you can use to find one.....
        How do I do this? Do I simply say "Hi meet Dave, he is my substitute"?

Comment

How do I do this? Do I simply say "Hi meet Dave, he is my substitute"?
          Pretty much, yes.

"This is Dave - he'll be taking over my role here. Dave's been a senior widget wangler for many years, and has the same kind of skills I provide when I wangle your widgets. Since Dave is contracted to my company, I'll still be available for him to contact me, and obviously my company is still liable for everything in the same way that it was before when it was just me. But it won't be a problem - Dave is as close to a like-for-like replacement as you'll get to me, so you're in good hands with him as an individual but still backed by the same quality service that my company has always provided"

Or something similar.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Pretty much, yes.

"This is Dave - he'll be taking over my role here. Dave's been a senior widget wangler for many years, and has the same kind of skills I provide when I wangle your widgets. Since Dave is contracted to my company, I'll still be available for him to contact me, and obviously my company is still liable for everything in the same way that it was before when it was just me. But it won't be a problem - Dave is as close to a like-for-like replacement as you'll get to me, so you're in good hands with him as an individual but still backed by the same quality service that my company has always provided"

Or something similar.
            What happens if you provide some random person who has no clue?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              Is someone trying to offer you as sub? Grats!

As TF said, the Ltd that signed the contract to provide services is liable for ensuring that those services are provided satisfactorily. If a sub is brought in who has no clue it's the same as if the original worker blagged the interview and had no clue once they actually got in.

Comment

Do you even think before you start typing or is it actually quite hard to post something this stupid?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Do you even think before you start typing or is it actually quite hard to post something this stupid?
                  just the man, could I use you as a sub? If you don't speak much they might not realise you are a complete moron for a few hours.
                  Last edited by Unix; 19 March 2015, 15:40.

Comment

It depends on what your contract says.

For example, my current contract says "The Company shall ensure that the Consultant(s) and itself shall exercise reasonable skill and care in performing the Service." so if I provided someone who was clueless, then my company would be in breach of that clause because it is not exercising reasonable skill and care.

Most (if not all) of my contracts have something similar, and ensure that any contractor provided must have a suitable level of skill. If not, then the company is in breach.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      It depends on what your contract says.

For example, my current contract says "The Company shall ensure that the Consultant(s) and itself shall exercise reasonable skill and care in performing the Service." so if I provided someone who was clueless, then my company would be in breach of that clause because it is not exercising reasonable skill and care.

Most (if not all) of my contracts have something similar, and ensure that any contractor provided must have a suitable level of skill. If not, then the company is in breach.
                      Thanks for that civilized reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X