• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV getting too long

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What keyword skills do you have? I thought that was more the agent's job.

5p sounds long to me. If you can get everything relevant in 1-2 pages and then have another 1-2 pages they can look at for further background, but don't need to, that would work.

Have you asked SY01 for advice on this?
    Actually all a dev needs to have on his CV is, "Can google really well"

Comment

Any CV that is more than 2 pages long is too long.

I've worked with HR folk before that print CVs double sided on one piece of paper. Anything that doesn't fit on one sheet is deleted. So, it's not always just that it's too long to read.

No-one has more than 2 pages of relavent experience, not at the summary level of a CV. Unless you're using a big font.

Or wide spacing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Have you asked SY01 for advice on this?
        Which I presume was where it all started!

Comment

My CV is 5 Pages

1st page is a summary of my skills and expertise and current gig, then detail of previous gigs.

Had 2 months down time in 16 years contracting.

Comment

This debate goes on all the time and so many people miss the point as to be untrue. More than one person whose job it is, is to review job applications has told me its a fallacy about reducing the length of your cv unless there's a lot of irrelevant info in there.

Its not the length(!) of your cv that matters, its the ability of the first page to grab the reader's attention and make then look at the rest of it.

If they dont like what they see in the first few seconds (as much as between 6 to 10 seconds), your cv will be in the bin irrespective of whether its 2, 3 or 10 pages.

Page 1 is your selling point. Subsequent pages are the more informed detail.

Anyone saying a 2 page cv is too long is just talking bollocks.
            Last edited by BolshieBastard; 14 March 2015, 10:59.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

When you get to five pages, surely it's time to pack it in and take up gardening?

Comment

Try this.... you get a 2 hour interview + a case-study based CV rewrite and LinkedIn profile for £274 IPSE February
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by RoastedSlopes View Post
                  My CV is 5 Pages

1st page is a summary of my skills and expertise and current gig, then detail of previous gigs.

Had 2 months down time in 16 years contracting.
                  Guess you will be taking the advice on here and changing that then?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    This debate goes on all the time and so many people miss the point as to be untrue. More than one person whose job it is, is to review job applications has told me its a fallacy about reducing the length of your cv unless there's a lot of irrelevant info in there.

Its not the length(!) of your cv that matters, its the ability of the first page to grab the reader's attention and make then look at the rest of it.

If they dont like what they see in the first few seconds (as much as between 6 to 10 seconds), your cv will be in the bin irrespective of whether its 2, 3 or 10 pages.

Page 1 is your selling point. Subsequent pages are the more informed detail.

Anyone saying a 2 page cv is too long is just talking bollocks.
                    Don't think anyone is saying a 2 page CV into long. We are saying a 5 page is too long.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Guess you will be taking the advice on here and changing that then?
                      Analysed the posts and decided to continue as is...

Comment

Working...
                      X