• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mention AWR to the client, and ensure that you are both aware of the issues for you both if caught as an employee.

My longest is over 4 years, but ensured RoS was established, tested and proven.

Comment

Just finished almost 3 years on one contract.
      Previous to that, I was at a major oil company for 16 years. Good gig.

Comment

Had a few 18 monthers. I tend to get bored after 6 months tho. After 18 months I look for something else.

Comment

Will be 10 years in April (9 years for HP) contracting at current site and have been trying to get out for years. It's easy to get too comfortable especially when its close to home.

Comment

Three times now I've turned down a perfectly good extension offer at the 2 year mark. Nothing to do with T&S or IR35, just feel that's long enough in one place. For me contracting is about variety. That and lazing about for an excessively long (to my wife) time between contracts....

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
              Well it has diddly squat to do with IR35 regardless, although as you say some clients, agents and contractors seem oblivious to this.
              Funny you say that as I worked with someone who had been onsite for 6 years as a contractor as the client outsourced the position all that time & retained him every 3 months for 6 years....then he seemed puzzled why the HMRC investigated him & asked for a massive amount of tax he had evaded by not adhering to the 24 month rule via his offshore based tax avoiding accountant! I could not believe how naive he was at being caught out & being landed with a hefty 5 figure tax bill which also required immediate settlement!

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
                Just finished almost 3 years on one contract.
                Previous to that, I was at a major oil company for 16 years. Good rig.
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
                  Three times now I've turned down a perfectly good extension offer at the 2 year mark. Nothing to do with T&S or IR35, just feel that's long enough in one place. For me contracting is about variety. That and lazing about for an excessively long (to my wife) time between contracts....
                  We have a winner!

Comment

This thread is now printed out and nailed above my bed. Thanks for all the good information guys. I didn't realize so many people did long contracts.

To summarize some of the points made:

- some people get bored after 2 years or earlier, so move on to something new. I think I am in that category.

- Some have never done a contract over a year, as it happens.

- A few have done very long contracts. Long contracts can arise where the project is big enough. Eg rolling out a 5G mobile network could take years, and legitimately engage contractors that whole time.

- Long contracts can make you look like a permy, not because of the length as such, but because working practices tend to erode in that time. If you want to reduce the IR35 risk, watch your working practices (like NLUK) and get clear statements of work, preferably as part of the contract. And keep the right mind set. The tendency for you to become "part of the family" must be avoided.

Personally, I enjoy the feeling if independence that comes from contracting, and not becoming part-and-parcel is a matter of personal satisfaction, (as well as aligning with IR35).

Comment

Working...
                    X