• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any advice/strategy for ensuring contracts get extended?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    If you can't do the work within the 7-8 hours in a working day then you are incompetent and will most likely burn out from a bad work/life balance. I usually complete my work in a few hours, the rest is spent on CUK
    Now you are just being a moronic troll. Well I really hope you are anyway.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Now you are just being a moronic troll. Well I really hope you are anyway.
      No, he/she is just being a Permie.

Originally posted by Unix
      If you can't do the work within the 7-8 hours in a working day then you are incompetent and will most likely burn out from a bad work/life balance.
      Were you not told this bollox by your manager when you were a Permie? Mine tried to.
      Last edited by FatLazyContractor; 2 March 2015, 14:00. Reason: Gender assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        There are a few sure-fire ways to get an extension, most of which have been mentioned already.

So combine them all - provide the best service (which may or may not require being flexible about working hours) and make yourself indispensable on a project that has oodles of cash to fund it. If you do this for a client who can't make up their mind about what they are doing, then you're on the path to riches.

Simple.
        Nothing is sure fire though. Thats the point.

You can stay in the office and work 24x7 but its not gonna make a blind bit of odds if client either a) decides they dont need you or b) theres no more money.

Remember permie days. Guy I worked with cancelled his hol about 2-3 days before because employer asked him to and they said they'd see him right. His Mrs went ballistic but his attitude was gotta keep employer happy. He got made redundant few months later (or rather shafted - they didnt do it properly) same day as me.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

You can stay in the office and work 24x7 but its not gonna make a blind bit of odds if client either a) decides they dont need you or b) theres no more money.

Remember permie days. Guy I worked with cancelled his hol about 2-3 days before because employer asked him to and they said they'd see him right. His Mrs went ballistic but his attitude was gotta keep employer happy. He got made redundant few months later (or rather shafted - they didnt do it properly) same day as me.
          Is he divorced too?

Comment

This sums it up, if you start letting the client push you to work extra hours etc then they will exploit you senseless. I find clients respect me more when I nip in the bud any notion of working gratis. If the only way you can provide value is working 10 hours a day, then you should be a permie.

Comment

I have a sure fire method of getting extensions which has served me well many times. It's not an easy thing to achieve so please persevere if this doesn't work for you immediately.

It goes like this, are you ready?............

Be in the right place at the right time.

You're welcome.

Comment

This sums it up, if you start letting the client push you to work extra hours etc then they will exploit you senseless. I find clients respect me more when I nip in the bud any notion of working gratis.
                That is how any Business to Business relationship works. Nothing new, is there?

If the only way you can provide value is working 10 hours a day, then you should be a permie.
                Again, based on assumption that all XXXL Shirts fit FLC. There are contracts which require working long hours to be able to finish the job, let alone impressing the client.

Comment

What the **** has how a permie treated got to do with us. This sums up both and Unix's approach to this issue. Disgruntled permies both of you.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    Is he divorced too?
                    He is but unrelated to this incident. He did a few things considered much worse in the marriage setting lol.

Comment

This sums it up, if you start letting the client push you to work extra hours etc then they will exploit you senseless. I find clients respect me more when I nip in the bud any notion of working gratis. If the only way you can provide value is working 10 hours a day, then you should be a permie.
                      I agree. I'm out of the door after a normal day. If there's something that needs to be done then 30-60 mins no worries but I try not to.
                      If it all goes pear shaped then I will stay however long it takes.

But like I said, current client is pretty good and offers TOIL for the extra.

Comment

Working...
                      X