• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh and Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    I like the sound of it, but would it be feasible for someone who doesn't drive/own a car?

From the sounds of it, I am guessing Edinburgh is the better of the two cities for someone in that scenario. I intend on checking both cities out as potential emigration destinations, mostly with a view to rent rather than buy at present.
    Edinburgh public transport is really, really good. Honestly cannot fault it. The traffic isn't that bad either. Plus it's compact so plenty of it is walkable. I live South Edinburgh and would recommend it.

I have a licence but got rid of the car 5 years ago. Just didn't need it with the quality of the bus service.

My advice would be to live in Edinburgh South. Some nice areas and you can get into town pretty quick as there are lots of major bus routes. North Edinburgh has some nice parts as well but it's more difficult to get into town.
    Last edited by LivingUpNorth; 4 March 2015, 16:43.

Comment

Rental costs/property costs also seem more affordable than Bristol and the job market quite buoyant, so I may pay it a visit to gauge how much I like it.

Comment

Don't move use Easyjet on a Mon & Friday.
        That's what I did for 3 months - I live in the NE so Newcastle/Bristol was cheap and easy. Rented a flat within walking distance of Bristol Airport.
        I assume they fly to Edinburgh or Glasgow too.
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
          Don't move use Easyjet on a Mon & Friday.
          That's what I did for 3 months - I live in the NE so Newcastle/Bristol was cheap and easy. Rented a flat within walking distance of Bristol Airport.
          I assume they fly to Edinburgh or Glasgow too.
          Where the hell is this flat within walking distance of the airport?

Mind you I suppose anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.
          "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
          "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
            Houses will differ in price from £400,000 ( BS9 4PH) to well over 1 million ( Clifton ) plus for a house.
            As my recent house move will attest. :O)
            "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
              Where the hell is this flat within walking distance of the airport?

Mind you I suppose anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.
              I've an idea where it would be. Thing is, though, Bristol Unintentional Airport is very good at not having links to it; an infrequent bus service of its own (not the usual First public service), no trains anywhere near, the M5 is 15 minutes up a very busy (and speed limited) road, and the taxis are a monopoly. It even charges you a quid to drive through and drop someone off.

So staying close to the airport is OK, getting from there to anywhere sensible isn't without your own car.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The bus from the airport runs every ten minutes, living within walking distance of the airport sounds ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  I've an idea where it would be. Thing is, though, Bristol Unintentional Airport is very good at not having links to it; an infrequent bus service of its own (not the usual First public service), no trains anywhere near, the M5 is 15 minutes up a very busy (and speed limited) road, and the taxis are a monopoly. It even charges you a quid to drive through and drop someone off.

So staying close to the airport is OK, getting from there to anywhere sensible isn't without your own car.
                  Do tell where it could be? I can only think of that hotel down the road a bit, or perhaps in Lulsgate itself? but even that's not exaclty walkable.

Completely agree on all the rest though. The 'multiple fares per taxi' thing is horrendous if you don't know about it. (that is charging each person in there the full fare individually if there are multiple drops)
                  "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Avalonia View Post
                    The bus from the airport runs every ten minutes, living within walking distance of the airport sounds ridiculous
                    Yes, but where does the bus go at the other end? A loop around Broadmead and BTM isn't it. Not much use for Clifton, Aztec or Abbeywood, which is where most of the work is...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Living in the middle of nowhere near the airport doesn't make Aztec west any closer

Comment

Working...
                      X