• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting market at the moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting market at the moment

I am finding that the market in my area: Unix / Linux / DevOps / budget hoover upper

is very different from when I was last looking for a contract, though I admit that it was five years ago.

I suspect that it is just the final shackles of the downturn being shaken off.

Before I hibernated in the public sector for five years I found that the rates were good and I just turned up for my last three gigs and got the role. The last two places did not even want an interview.

Now, even for contracts it is a telephone interview first.... wait....wait..... two weeks later.....Yep, you can come for an interview now.

It's strange. It has been like that for all of the ten roles that I have applied for outside of London.

Yet, the rates are good, very good in some places and things are just much slower than I am used to, jet the market is very good.

Just one of those things I guess.

On the plus side, I am learning lots of cool new stuff.

and the Mrs likes having me home to make the dinner.

Having returned to contracting after a 11 year permie break, 4 months on the bench... My experience so far...

2 telephone interviews, final face to face to meet the team - actually we need someone more technical sorry.
    Interview first week in January, verbal offer week after, paper offer (with no start date) 2 weeks after, still waiting for contract and start date
    Interview, offer, contract and start within 2 weeks, turned up on site for first day, hiring manager off sick, contact for first day on leave, ah weren't expecting you til the 2nd march.

In my 10 years of contracting previously I only had 1 verbal offer not turn into a timely start, and despite 7 months of bench from DEC 99 to JUN 2000 never had a break!

I hope this is just a momentary exposure to the worst side of the industry, either way I had a nice war chest to start with, and it will be worth it once it starts!

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
      Having returned to contracting after a 11 year permie break, 4 months on the bench... My experience so far...

2 telephone interviews, final face to face to meet the team - actually we need someone more technical sorry.
      Interview first week in January, verbal offer week after, paper offer (with no start date) 2 weeks after, still waiting for contract and start date
      Interview, offer, contract and start within 2 weeks, turned up on site for first day, hiring manager off sick, contact for first day on leave, ah weren't expecting you til the 2nd march.

In my 10 years of contracting previously I only had 1 verbal offer not turn into a timely start, and despite 7 months of bench from DEC 99 to JUN 2000 never had a break!

I hope this is just a momentary exposure to the worst side of the industry, either way I had a nice war chest to start with, and it will be worth it once it starts!
      Oh dear. That's not good.
      Still, positive side forward....
      They were expecting you and you are in a nice position.
      A contract starting soon and two weeks leave to start with.

You could take a course and then a holiday, or a course while on holiday.

Comment

Or a course on how to take a holiday? It is half term next week, so an extra week of won't be too bad. And I have actually classed Nov and Dec as get my act together, decide what i want to do and get over the previous 11 years time, so only actually benched since Jan 2nd...

Comment

Newbie here

Being looking for a contract for about 3 weeks, after being a permanent all my life.

Most offers I got were perm again, so I had to refuse 90%, but thinking I couldn't get a contract anytime soon, I also started some perm applications and went to a couple of interviews (first stage anyway). Just in case.

I got a few contracts and I started the application for all of them. Fortunately the one that paid more and interested me more was the fastest with interviews and tests (1 week aprox.) and I'm now setting up everything (going Limited for the first time, sounds wild).

But yes, now it is slow, they told me probably 2 weeks to start. Background checks, and all this stuff...
          Rates not bad.

Let's see!

Comment

Similarly, Im looking to come out of semi retirement and have experienced something very similar!

Telephone interview and confirmed job offer to start in (this) new year. New Year comes and I find the role has now been 'pulled.'

OK, things happen. Had another telephone interview but lost out when another candidates said they could start tomorrow (literally). Fair enough, I wasnt asked that particular question but clearly the person who did wasnt bothered about having the contract reviewed.

Had another tele interview for a hazy requirement. Client mentioned some technical knowledge but assured candidates it wasnt essential. Telephone interview successful asked to go for face 2 face where technical questions would be asked.

Did some swatting and turned up, no technical questions asked at all during interview. At he end I mentioned this and the interviewer said not to worry, they were looking for a range of people and candidates would be matched to available roles.

3 days later, agent tells me I failed due to answers on the 'technical questions'! What were they I asked? Turns out, the agent had sent 12 people including me for interview and the client had rejected them all and was asking for anothe tranche.

Ive since seen this 'role' re advertised by 3 different agencies since Wednesday. So, if you're applying for a role in Utilities, be warned!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I forgot to mention the interview, where I had 6 agencies all ringing me up as I was ideal. Turned up and after they explained what the role was doing, I realised the role was something I couldn't even be close to blagging, so explained the situation, had a laugh about it, told them my actual expertise and was back out the door within 15 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                3 days later, agent tells me I failed due to answers on the 'technical questions'! What were they I asked? Turns out, the agent had sent 12 people including me for interview and the client had rejected them all and was asking for anothe tranche.

Ive since seen this 'role' re advertised by 3 different agencies since Wednesday. So, if you're applying for a role in Utilities, be warned!
                Utilities and outsourcers have been my biggest time wasters this time around on the bench.

Mind you, I'm still waiting for the security checks to come through for the role I was offered a couple of weeks ago. ho-hum.

Comment

I forgot to mention the interview, where I had 6 agencies all ringing me up as I was ideal. Turned up and after they explained what the role was doing, I realised the role was something I couldn't even be close to blagging, so explained the situation, had a laugh about it, told them my actual expertise and was back out the door within 15 mins.
                  Sounds like an interview I had for a well known car magazine! Agent thought the role was one thing, client another. it became clear during the first 5 mins of the interview the job wasnt my skillset at all. Had to fess up. Interviewers were very apolgetic and we ended up discussing cars for the next 15 minutes!

Regarding my original post, Ive just noticed the role I was beaten to by the person who 'could start tomorrow' is now being re advertised as a permanent role. As this is a 'green field' start its not like they want the contractor to set things up for the new permie.

I was originally told the contractor in situ for less than a month had to leave urgently due to a 'serious family illness' (sounds a familiar excuse to jump ship!). I think he left because the client doesnt know what they want as has been aptly demonstrated since.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Picking up on your first post...

While off I am responsible for Cooking, Packed Lunches, Hoovering, Dusting and Cleaning of Bathrooms.

I am useless at most of it apparently, which is fine by me, we can have a cleaner again when I'm back in a contract, I was trying to negotiate a gardener as well but she is not having any of it.

It was quite nice having an overnight in London and a few hours on the train, even though I am unlikely to see the money again (agent said I was billable for the day, but now says I should be able to get the expenses "possibly", the client was due to pick up all my travel costs but I am glad I went for the cheapest options for trains and hotels this week.)

On the bright side the Ibis Budget in whitechapel has been deemed "ok" for short stays in london, the breakfast isn't worth the £5 (I'm lactose/fructose intolerant so ended up with an apple and some toast with honey on, black coffee), but they do have a microwave you can use to cook in the evenings if you want.

Comment

Working...
                    X