• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting market at the moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
    Picking up on your first post...

While off I am responsible for Cooking, Packed Lunches, Hoovering, Dusting and Cleaning of Bathrooms.

I am useless at most of it apparently, which is fine by me, we can have a cleaner again when I'm back in a contract, I was trying to negotiate a gardener as well but she is not having any of it.

It was quite nice having an overnight in London and a few hours on the train, even though I am unlikely to see the money again (agent said I was billable for the day, but now says I should be able to get the expenses "possibly", the client was due to pick up all my travel costs but I am glad I went for the cheapest options for trains and hotels this week.)

On the bright side the Ibis Budget in whitechapel has been deemed "ok" for short stays in london, the breakfast isn't worth the £5 (I'm lactose/fructose intolerant so ended up with an apple and some toast with honey on, black coffee), but they do have a microwave you can use to cook in the evenings if you want.
    If the interview location is a long way away or expensive to get to, try asking for a telephone or skype interview. You may still have to go for a face 2 face though.

I dont mind spending £50 or so to get to an interview but a hundred or more, nah. Do that a couple of times with no role at the end and you can be seriously out of pocket.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

That was my first day at work, they weren't expecting me so after 45 mins in reception drinking coffee went home again, was due to be there for 3 days!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        If the interview location is a long way away or expensive to get to, try asking for a telephone or skype interview. You may still have to go for a face 2 face though.

I dont mind spending £50 or so to get to an interview but a hundred or more, nah. Do that a couple of times with no role at the end and you can be seriously out of pocket.
        Yep agreed. Interviews in London for me at the wrong time and train is £170. Off peak its £35.

So I aint shelling out £170. Expecially if Im on JSA at £72/week.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

You can quite often charge excessive costs associated with an interview to the client.

Check with them first as they may just laugh and say no, but its worth a shot if the alternative is just not going.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Yep agreed. Interviews in London for me at the wrong time and train is £170. Off peak its £35.

So I aint shelling out £170. Expecially if Im on JSA at £72/week.
            if you are on JSA they will (at their discretion) pay for travel expenses to an interview.... The fact they didn't offer or mention it to you shows that their opinion of you is similar to the opinion of many others on here....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              if you are on JSA they will (at their discretion) pay for travel expenses to an interview.... The fact they didn't offer or mention it to you shows that their opinion of you is similar to the opinion of many others on here....
              Eek - ever been in a jobcentre? I guess not.

Do I care what people on here think of me - do I bollax. Do I care what someone who gets a kick out of being nasty thinks of me. Absolutely not. In fact, I quite like it.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Eek - ever been in a jobcentre? I guess not.

Do I care what people on here think of me - do I bollax. Do I care what someone who gets a kick out of being nasty thinks of me. Absolutely not. In fact, I quite like it.
                Would anyone like to guess what the current project I'm working on is.....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have spent considerable time in Job centres in a professional capacity too, that's why I haven't demeaned myself to go and sign on after being made redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
                    I have spent considerable time in Job centres in a professional capacity too, that's why I haven't demeaned myself to go and sign on after being made redundant.
                    Personal choice. Up to you. Not the nicest experience in the world I will admit.
                    Possibly some areas are worse than others too - try south wales for a bad experience!

But come back to me and say that again after 15 weeks on the bench when you're wishing you had that 15x £72 = £1080. Might wish you'd spend a few hours of those 15 weeks signing on then. Never know.

Comment

I covered Wales, North West, North east and Scotland - I have seen the worst.

I didn't sign on when I had 7 months off, as you say it's down to personal choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X