• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To stay or not to stay......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Setting > General Settings > Basic Editor
    Nice one. That brings to an end my animated banana embarrassment.

Comment

1) Is rate good? - Not bad. Neither the best or worse I've had.
      2) Is it close to home or miles away? - Very close to home. Get to see my kids when I get home for the first time in ages
      3) Is the tech you work with looking good on your CV or is it old crap? - Yes, it is a company that looks very good on your CV
      4) Do you need the money for warchest? - yes
      5) Is it a nice place to work? Are the people nice? - Same as anywhere, but boss is a bit of an idiot
      6) Can you get away with surfing the web for the remaining 5 hours? - Yes but it's so boring
      7) Can you get away with long lunches/go early? - sometimes yes

Comment

Originally posted by acnm View Post
        2) Is it close to home or miles away? - Very close to home. Get to see my kids when I get home for the first time in ages
        3) Is the tech you work with looking good on your CV or is it old crap? - Yes, it is a company that looks very good on your CV
        5) Is it a nice place to work? Are the people nice? - Same as anywhere, but boss is a bit of an idiot
        6) Can you get away with surfing the web for the remaining 5 hours? - Yes but it's so boring
        And if you rate those in priority, which one wins out? Personally I'd stick a contract out that meant that I could get home at a decent hour every night.

If you can get away with a few hours surfing every day, why not turn that into an advantage? Upskilling and online training, Plan B, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by acnm View Post
          So point 2 trumps all the others

Stay in contract - until you find another with similar travel time

Comment

So point 2 trumps all the others

Stay in contract - until you find another with similar travel time
            This was my train of thought. It would be almost impossible to find a contract within a similar distance / travel time so I'm inclined to drag this out for as long as possible. Just need some way of overcoming the mind-numbing boredom and retain my sanity.

Comment

I think if you need the money for the warchest and it's so convenient it definitely sounds like staying is the right choice, at least until something better comes along.

If you have the freedom to surf the web etc. then consider furthering your skills - a Pluralsight subscription is a cheap business expense and their videos are great ways to learn new technology.

Like a lot of contractors I have several "plan B" projects and it would be a dream to be effectively getting paid to work on them during business hours, if I had time to kill.

Comment

Current pimp agency gives unlimited free access to on-line training stuff, not just dev stuff either. It's BYOD device site, so I have 3g with no networks monitoring my usage.

I'm in the same situation. t's easy money, so every Friday I check the invoice has been paid. There's work to do, but neither client nor supplier have got a clue about organising it. They don't want to change things, it's their way of working, so just roll with the punch's. 9 months in & another 6 to go, with the PM asking about workload after that.

I don't have kids, but other cons would rate that as top priority, it's something you just can't buy.

Comment

The way I often look at these things is: if you leave, what else are you going to do with the time? It’s easy to leave if you’re bored/unpaid/unappreciated and have something better or different to move on to. It’s difficult to leave if you have no other options.

Given the way you’re feeling, why not take a peek at the opportunities available to you out on the market, and then at least you will have something to compare against.

Otherwise, stay put, keep on doing a great job and keep on earning your money. You’d rather earn while you can, than look back at some point in the future and wish you’d carried on building the warchest.

Comment

Working...
                  X