• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interested in Contract Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, that helps!

Would it be possible for you to break down that £5k please? That would be most helpful!

And as for getting paid 90 days after a contract ends, I think I'll take on SueEllen's advice and enquire before a contract is signed as to what the payment terms are.

Cheers!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      Ok I will take this one

1. About 5k
      2. Yes you only get paid 90 days after contract ends
      Play nicely.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by chrisaxe21 View Post
        I've looked into contract work simply as the pay is much better.

Chris
        Wrong reason. Why do you think the pay is much better?
        Last edited by stek; 1 January 2015, 22:22.

Comment

Thanks guys, that helps!

Would it be possible for you to break down that £5k please? That would be most helpful!

And as for getting paid 90 days after a contract ends, I think I'll take on SueEllen's advice and enquire before a contract is signed as to what the payment terms are.

Cheers!

Chris
          Jeez, never thought I'd find myself being the sensible one here...

Company set up around £100. Accountancy services, some charge £100 + per month, payable from when you start using them, but there are other options. Contract payment terms vary from weekly invoice with seven day payment terms to monthly with 90 day payment terms and everything in between. Ask the agency before the put you forward for a gig what the payment terms are.

Simples.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Wrong reason. Why do you think the pay is much better?
            The pay can absolutely be the reason
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Hi,

or do I simply appoint an accountant, explain I'll be getting my first pay in 1 month so I can pay for that setup then?

Cost for setting up a company are around £100 - £200.

My annual accountants bill is about £800. I could probably save a bit .. but am too lazy to shop around.

And I pay £20 per monthly for FreeAgent to do most of the work.

You will be entering a business relationship with your accountant and he'll expect you to pay him once he invoices you. Which will be immediately. Whether or not you have you any income ... that's not his problem.

Comment

You can pay for all the set up costs from your personal account- keep receipts and then claim these as expenses from your business bank account once you have your first invoice paid.
                "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  Ok I will take this one

1. About 5k
                  2. Yes you only get paid 90 days after contract ends
                  I'll do it for 4.5K.
                  Last edited by mudskipper; 2 January 2015, 08:10.

Comment

It costs £15 to setup a company at Companies House online and takes 10 minutes. It's free to open a banking account in the Company's name.

That's it.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

The main expense you have to think about is travel and accommodation, £1000-2000 a month if you're not contracting around the corner. You will also need to think about time between contracts where you earn nothing.
                      Once you factor in those costs contracting will be less attractive. If you are in a sector such as banking concentrated in one city where you work as a permie, that is typically where you can really boost your income.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X