• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period Vs Timesheet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your an IPSE member (or it might be IPSE+) you can claim if agent does not honour contractual agreement i.e. notice period.

I recently claimed for a days rate off them for a gig months ago that got pulled on the friday afternoon before the monday start. It was only one day notice in first week, so they only needed one day notice (but Friday 4pm was a bit much).

I was surprised mind when Abbey Tax/IPSE said OK we'll send you a cheque for one day.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      We have had lots of discussion about MoO and there is still some debate about it but I believe MoO relates to the obligation of the client giving you work AFTER the current contract has ended. I don't believe MoO relates to work during the current contract.
      I think this is rubbish based on some postings by that fool incognito. IMHO, MOO applies throughout the contract to both parties.

I dont know of any contract review provider who says MOO is a one way street or only applies to the client.

Obviously you disagree but I think its disingenuous to say because there have been debates about it, that's the way it is.

Until proven otherwise in law, MOO applies equally to contractor and client. And if the contractor wants to serve notice, he can damn well serve MOO as well.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        If your an IPSE member (or it might be IPSE+) you can claim if agent does not honour contractual agreement i.e. notice period.

I recently claimed for a days rate off them for a gig months ago that got pulled on the friday afternoon before the monday start. It was only one day notice in first week, so they only needed one day notice (but Friday 4pm was a bit much).

I was surprised mind when Abbey Tax/IPSE said OK we'll send you a cheque for one day.
        4) Binned from contract - claiming insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I think this is rubbish based on some postings by that fool incognito. IMHO, MOO applies throughout the contract to both parties.

I dont know of any contract review provider who says MOO is a one way street or only applies to the client.

Obviously you disagree but I think its disingenuous to say because there have been debates about it, that's the way it is.

Until proven otherwise in law, MOO applies equally to contractor and client. And if the contractor wants to serve notice, he can damn well serve MOO as well.
          My point exactly. Clients seem to be able to ride roughshod and say, yep notice is one month but dont bother coming in and we suck it up and say ok we wont get paid.

But, as we keep going on, its a business to business relationship. Whats good for one party should be good for the other. Yes I know its supplier-provider but does that mean we should just take it?

At the moment, the norm seems to be:-

Client: Can give notice at any time then just tell you to not bother coming in and not pay you. i.e. zero notice.
          Contractor: In some cases, will give notice AS PER CONTRACT, work the notice and still get grief from client/peers as being unprofessional.

Im sorry its just too far skewed one way for my liking sometimes. Personally, I think all parties should stick to notice period, pay/work the notice period and also not moan if one party invokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
            4) Binned from contract - claiming insurance.
            LOL. This was for a gig over a year ago and I didn't realise I could claim. At the time, I wasnt happy because it was all lined up.
            Took me another month to get a another gig (but dont worry I've been working since).

So fair play to Abbey Tax for coughing up one days rate for me. Especially since I claimed for something a year ago.

Better than a poke in the eye.Cheque arrived yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              My point exactly. Clients seem to be able to ride roughshod and say, yep notice is one month but dont bother coming in and we suck it up and say ok we wont get paid.
              Your poor opinion of your clients is clouding your view. They don't ride roughshod at all. This happens pretty rarely. In the main notice periods are seen to the end by both parties and everyone is happy... except you.

But, as we keep going on, its a business to business relationship. Whats good for one party should be good for the other. Yes I know its supplier-provider but does that mean we should just take it?
              No it means there are different commitments in the relationship. I am betting every penny I have that if you were in the position of paying notice to a contractor you don't want and isn't adding anything to the business you would invoke a clause in the contract that that contractor signed. I would.

At the moment, the norm seems to be:-

Client: Can give notice at any time then just tell you to not bother coming in and not pay you. i.e. zero notice.
              Contractor: In some cases, will give notice AS PER CONTRACT, work the notice and still get grief from client/peers as being unprofessional.
              Yes because the clients ability to not pay for not work is AS PER THE CONTRACT. If you really want the same you have to negotiate it in instead of sitting on your arse and moaning about it.

Im sorry its just too far skewed one way for my liking sometimes. Personally, I think all parties should stick to notice period, pay/work the notice period and also not moan if one party invokes.
              Weren't you going to bail a gig early not two months ago??

All this coming from a bloke that hates clients with a passion and doesn't even know where he sits in a supplier chain it's hardly surprising you don't like it. I find it hard to see that it's the clients that unprofessional ones in all this.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Your poor opinion of your clients is clouding your view. They don't ride roughshod at all. This happens pretty rarely. In the main notice periods are seen to the end by both parties and everyone is happy... except you.

No it means there are different commitments in the relationship. I am betting every penny I have that if you were in the position of paying notice to a contractor you don't want and isn't adding anything to the business you would invoke a clause in the contract that that contractor signed. I would.

Yes because the clients ability to not pay for not work is AS PER THE CONTRACT. If you really want the same you have to negotiate it in instead of sitting on your arse and moaning about it.

Weren't you going to bail a gig early not two months ago??

All this coming from a bloke that hates clients with a passion and doesn't even know where he sits in a supplier chain it's hardly surprising you don't like it. I find it hard to see that it's the clients that unprofessional ones in all this.
                Ha Ha. Yes I did bail from a gig.

It was coming to an end at xmas anyway and I invokes the notice period and negotiated with the client. Everyone was happy. Nothing wrong with this.

I dont hate clients btw. I just dont put up with tulipe.

For a change, current one seems quite decent.

Comment

Working...
                X