• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor with a conscience!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    yes, it was a converstation we had BEFORE the telephone interview was scheduled. Between that conversation and the email confirmation coming through I just couldn't stop thinking about the situation and I felt uneasy about it and in actually fact sorry for the guy. The agent mentioned just one particular skill which in the scheme of the contract spec. shouldn't be cause to give notice. Given that and the fact the role is periodically readvertised I opted out.

I've sometimes pulled out of interviews for other opportunites and probably regretted it later on but not this time.
    Each to their own. I doubt there are many that would have done the same.

What was the skill?

Comment

I've sometimes pulled out for other opportunities and probably regretted it later on
      Haven't we all?

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

yes, it was a converstation we had BEFORE the telephone interview was scheduled. Between that conversation and the email confirmation coming through I just couldn't stop thinking about the situation and I felt uneasy about it and in actually fact sorry for the guy. The agent mentioned just one particular skill which in the scheme of the contract spec. shouldn't be cause to give notice. Given that and the fact the role is periodically readvertised I opted out.
        That would make me pull out as it would indicate there is something wrong with the work environment. I would also presume the agent was lying about why the guy left due to the fact the role is readvertised frequently.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          That would make me pull out as it would indicate there is something wrong with the work environment. I would also presume the agent was lying about why the guy left due to the fact the role is readvertised frequently.
          Same here actually. I wouldn't have a conscience about filling another contractor's shoes, but being set up to fail is another matter. Was the other contractor really binned? Or did they walk and the agent didn't want to explain why they walked.

One of the best things about contracting: being able to just say no.

One of the difficult things about contracting: knowing when to just say no.

... because seeing beyond the £££ signs can be difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
            One of the difficult things about contracting: knowing when to just say no.

... because seeing beyond the £££ signs can be difficult.
            Yep, made that mistake on my last contract. Other than making the acquaintance of some top blokes (who left in the same contractor purge I was part of), it was a complete waste of time professionally. I actually turned down another less lucrative role but which had a better pipeline of work, in hindsight.

Comment

(£650)
              Bastard.

Seriously though. Was that necessary ? He may have just lacked one of the skills needed, which is fair enough. Or maybe they just thought of it half way through the contract, which is less fair. I would probably have taken the gig after checking that I had ALL the skills they were asking for, and perhaps asking if this is something they often do to contractors (which the agent would automatically deny).

You don't really know for sure though. Him missing a skill could just be a polite cover story for something more serious or less pleasant.

Comment

Working...
              X