• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income and sickness protection insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income and sickness protection insurance

Hi,

I have been contracting now for almost 3 years and have never taken out income or sickness protection insurance.

How many of you have this insurance and do you recommend it?
    I am fortunate that I do build up a nice warchest every year so always have that to fall back on, mind you I have never been out of work for over a month.

What do you think?

Do what's right for your family and yourself. There's no rule on this.

Comment

Some people don't have it and others like me have it.

If you are going to take out a income protection policy (PHI) you need to ensure that it will pay out to contractors whose income comes from a mixture of wages and dividends. The premiums tend to be lower if you are male and younger.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Income protection

Hi, perhaps you would like to try this test. Sit down with your latest bank statement and a Highlighter. Mark off all of the essentials in your life; Mortgage, Council tax, Gas, Electric, Water, credit card & loan payments, food, transport costs, insurances. Then check your savings and work out how long the savings will last. Will they last until your retirement? If no, What plan do you have to maintain your lifestyle? No plan in place? Take Income Protection.

Where any insurance is involved, always look at the "what if...? How could I survive" scenario. If there is no answer, you need insurance.

Comment

I don't believe that this kind of insurance would pay out if you need it.

I'll bet that T&Cs would exclude most reasons for needing it.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by John Constant View Post
            Hi, perhaps you would like to try this test. Sit down with your latest bank statement and a Highlighter. Mark off all of the essentials in your life; Mortgage, Council tax, Gas, Electric, Water, credit card & loan payments, food, transport costs, insurances. Then check your savings and work out how long the savings will last. Will they last until your retirement? If no, What plan do you have to maintain your lifestyle? No plan in place? Take Income Protection.

Where any insurance is involved, always look at the "what if...? How could I survive" scenario. If there is no answer, you need insurance.

Or ask yourself this simple question; if insurance is so great for the end user, how come insurance companies have such big flash offices and so much money?

Insurance is almost always a scam, the insurance companies make the money, not the punters, and if you look at the cost/benefit of income protection it is one of the worst, it really is an area where contractors need to "self-insure"

Comment

I have a pretty healthy warchest, so not needed.

Those policies also only pay out max 12 months (and if you're ill for more than 30/60/90 days).
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post

Those policies also only pay out max 12 months (and if you're ill for more than 30/60/90 days).
                Common mistake you have made you have mixed up permanent health insurance (PHI) with other forms of short term income protection.

PHI is the type you use to only be able to get from brokers after you gained advice. Now you can get it without the advice, but it's the type that pays out a sum monthly long term until you retire. You should really talk to a broker as some types are completely unsuitable for contractors due to our income being a mixture of salary and dividends. Some also refuse to pay out if your long term illness/'disability means you can do another occupation.

Other forms of income protection include accident, sickness and unemployment cover which are part of a mis-selling scandal. These types are unsuitable for contractors as your warchest should cover you for a minimum of 6 months if you are sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                  Or ask yourself this simple question; if insurance is so great for the end user, how come insurance companies have such big flash offices and so much money?
                  You clearly haven't the privilege of working in insurance. Their ability to not have enough office space, stained carpets, desks, chairs etc is similar to other sectors I've worked for. In fact the only clients' I've had who haven't had issues with infrastructure are the ones where most of the work is done remotely.

Comment

IPSE+ membership give business interruption insurance if you are in contract an unable to work through illness. Every little helps.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X