• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a 1-month notice period a deal breaker for most companies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a 1-month notice period a deal breaker for most companies?

I am still working as a permie currently and I'd love to have the contractor lifestyle, freedom, but I'm a bit scared that getting contracting gigs is 10x harder than permanent jobs. I've been very lucky while negotiating my last 2 permie jobs, because I had both times 2 other concrete offers on the table. Despite that, I'm a bit scared of having to resign at a highly regarded IT company and having a hard time finding an IT gig. By far most companies wouldn't wait an entire month for just a DevOps/SysAdmin/Automation guy, right?

Firstly have you researched the market you are going into? If you have then you will see whether your skills are rare or not.

If they are rare then clients will wait for you to work out your notice. If they aren't they probably won't.

I also suggest you don't state to agencies that you are working out your notice. Just tell them you are available immediately.

BTW to save yourself writing loads of questions which have all been asked before read the first timers guides on:
    1 .This site - go to CUK Navigation (on the right) and start reading.
    2. Go to SJD Accountancy and read their guide.
    3. Go to IPSE and read their guide

Then once you have read all those when you have a question type it into google in the form "site:forums.contractoruk.com [my question] " where [my question] is your question.

Only after doing all that post a question and mention you have searched for answers.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 30 November 2014, 18:33.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In my (relatively limited) experience of contracting in the finance industry it takes 2-3 weeks for all security stuff to be sorted out - that's 2-3 weeks after an offer has been made, so I don't think that would be a deal breaker for some.

I'm sure there are plenty of contracts, however, that need someone in yesterday, so it really depends on the nature of the project, industry and the availability of your particular skills in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
        I am still working as a permie currently and I'd love to have the contractor lifestyle, freedom, but I'm a bit scared that getting contracting gigs is 10x harder than permanent jobs. I've been very lucky while negotiating my last 2 permie jobs, because I had both times 2 other concrete offers on the table. Despite that, I'm a bit scared of having to resign at a highly regarded IT company and having a hard time finding an IT gig. By far most companies wouldn't wait an entire month for just a DevOps/SysAdmin/Automation guy, right?
        And, what if you find a gig quickly but it is canned before you start?
        I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Notice period in a contract can vary from none (for the contractor so you must complete the contract) to 1 month.

In reality, your notice period can be none even if the contract says 1 month. In other words the client just tells you dont come in tomorrow. And because they have no work for you, you will not get paid for any notice.

Tis the way of contracting.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Is this guy simply going down the first timer guides and spamming these questions as a "joke" or is it really someone that utterly clueless that even crayons are dangerously sharp?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Is this guy simply going down the first timer guides and spamming these questions as a "joke" or is it really someone that utterly clueless that even crayons are dangerously sharp?
              Nah this forum is his nanny

Comment

You've kind of set your stall out in the first two sentences. If that scares you stay perm.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X