• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding out if CV has gone forward to ClientCo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Is there any legitimate way without knowing the hiring managers name to find out if your CV has definitely gone forward to ClientCo?

I have had my CV allegedly put forward for a few roles by this agency and 2 were "filled internally" and 1 I am waiting on.

I am now beginning to wonder if they are taking my acceptance of their representation but not forwarding me to minimise the number of relevant CVs that are going to ClientCo for the role.
    Its very possible the roles were filled internally. Also, if someone has contracted at a client previously and a role comes up, if that person applies, they can be taken on without other cv's being considered. We've all experienced that, havent we?

I think a lot of it is just the state of the market.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Is there any legitimate way without knowing the hiring managers name to find out if your CV has definitely gone forward to ClientCo?
      No.

Comment

I've had this recently, agent 1 phoned me about a role and after some hassling he sent me the JD and I asked him to put me forward. Nothing come back.

Agent 2 asks me about the same role and I ask explain to him the situation and ask him to check whether I've been submitted or not. Not sure if he did or not but the interview was arranged and then got cancelled because the role got pulled. I added the interviewer on LinkedIn and funnily enough the role is back on a day later.

Agent 1 phones me again asking if anyone has talked to me about this amazing role he has. I didn't tell him that he had, doubt he put me forward.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          I've had this recently, agent 1 phoned me about a role and after some hassling he sent me the JD and I asked him to put me forward. Nothing come back.

Agent 2 asks me about the same role and I ask explain to him the situation and ask him to check whether I've been submitted or not. Not sure if he did or not but the interview was arranged and then got cancelled because the role got pulled. I added the interviewer on LinkedIn and funnily enough the role is back on a day later.

Agent 1 phones me again asking if anyone has talked to me about this amazing role he has. I didn't tell him that he had, doubt he put me forward.
          Agent 2 may have withdrawn you, because he had another candidate with a lower rate = higher profit for him

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            In the case where they claim to have sent your details to take you off the market they lose nothing.
            Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            They lose nothing? I'm not sure what you are talking about there.

I think we have our wires crossed.

They get their 5 cv's, and submit them.

They then phone you, tell you they're putting you forward, but do not, effectively eliminating you from going for the role via another agent.

that is what I am talking about. It happens.
            And what do they lose in the scenario that you described?

Comment

Assuming that this happens, then sometimes you will be put forward with less competition and sometimes you won't be.

So it all balances in the end, i.e. the roles you are put forward for you are more likely to get.

In the end the probability of getting a contract hasn't been changed, the process is just a bit stranger.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                And what do they lose in the scenario that you described?
                The agent loses nothing.

The contractor however is blocked from getting his cv in.

There is of course the possibility you are the best person for the job, but there is only so long they can wait before submitting their quota.

I really don't get what angle you're coming from. Please explain.
                Last edited by jmo21; 24 November 2014, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I 100% guarentee you it happens. My experience was I put my CV across for a contract. Mate at the client pings me and says hey SWB you would be perfect for this role. Ask if they have my CV, turns out they don't. I've got the e-mail from pimpo the agent, he confirms again (Liar) that he has submitted me. Proceed to abuse him to within an inch of his worthless life. Put CV in through another channel.

It doesn't really balance out as you spend quite a while wondering what is truth or fiction from these people. It's a waste of time alround, its childish, unethical and stupid. So they try and convince you not to apply and whose interests is this serving?

Quite frankly I'm amazed that people on this thread can't see why this isn't a "good" thing.
                  There are ways round this, for a start there is no harm in getting other agents to sound out the client, i.e. politely ask if your CV has been submitted. I have done this on one or more occasions to be told that indeed the CV was submitted by the alternative agency.

Agreed it's not good, but what are you going to do?

There is absolutely nothing you can do, accept make a complaint to some toothless trade practices body.

If all contractors face this problem then there your chances of getting a contract is no different than if the agencies didn't do this, at the end of the day agencies are gatekeepers, whether they completely ignore you or ignore you but pretend not to makes no real odds, you are still being ignored. If my CV disappears into a black hole as it has done on many occasions then it hasn't taken up more than the few seconds it took to press the submit button.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 November 2014, 16:41.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

That practice of holding candidates off the market happens and is horrible. Very sensible to add a 'representation is valid with your agency provided my cv is sent within the next 24 hours'. Some agents are not technical enough and do not understand how a candidate matches a role. They and the client might miss a great candidate destined for the holding pile due to this.

In cases when a customer has preferred suppliers and a submission portal, that is handy and your status can be checked with another agency
                    who offers to send you in.

The only way a customer could know it is getting the cvs of those out there would be to create a freelancer portal where the contractors
                    can apply themselves without agencies. Some larger companies have done this but are in a minority.

How about this variation of the problem: an agency calls you, which is a preferred supplier. Cv is sent in with permission. Several months later,
                    another agency calls. Agency 2 is not currently a preferred supplier so in no firm position to offer contractors or to represent you as an agency, but tells you it has been officially approached by the end-client's manager for services when that is not the case. They are getting cvs in to try to win business with the customer. They give you a slightly different project specification. The end company is huge so you think it's not the same role or department. You tell agency 2 on the phone that the end-client would not be interested. Cv was already there for a project and you had no feedback yet after months. Agency 2 wants to try it anyway.

The end client actually has slow recruitment processes. You don't realise that as a candidate. Cv via agency 1 had been pre-selected for an interview pending a slot in the diary of busy staff.

Agency 2 convinces manager to find a short slot somewhere for a quick chat for their candidate. He agrees to a short slot. The manager then realises the mistake. Cv had come in via current preferred supplier (agency 1) and had been pre-selected for interview process (chat with manager, technical interview) pending company staff and techies, who are very busy on projects, having a slot free. They had not had a chance to send this news to agency one yet because they had no slots free yet with the technical gurus. Agency 2 is informed of the unfortunate mistake.

Agency 2 - not a preferred supplier - would like some of the reward for recruitment services. If the other PSL recruiter won't share
                    the fees, agency 2 will invoice the end-client for services for that candidate for the next year.

Has anyone seen that sort of problem before? What was done to sort it out?

Surely it's not normal for an agency to claim to be on a supplier list when it is not.

Comment

Working...
                    X