• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subsistence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    What kind of shop has the facility to take credit card payments for a sandwich, but not to issue a receipt?

I would ask them to write one by hand, but then I can be a bit of a g1t.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it's a shop you are only paying a couple of quid for something. If so is it really worth the hassle of claiming. It's not like claiming it through the company makes it free.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Pret give receipts if you ask them. All chains do.

Even small independent shops give receipts if you ask them.

They are aware that some people can expense things through their business/employer and want customers like this.
      When I was working late in London on one project, I used to call in for a kebab every so often. They struggled to get the till working each time, but always managed to print me a receipt.

Another place used to just grab a scrap of paper, stamp their name on it and write the price on it.

I've never been told that they can't provide a receipt.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it's a shop you are only paying a couple of quid for something. If so is it really worth the hassle of claiming. It's not like claiming it through the company makes it free.
        Poundworld manage to do it without quibble.

I'll confess to putting a £2 claim in last month, but I couldn't be bothered to actually pay the money out to me, as I had nothing else owing and it seemed a hassle to log into internet banking just to get my £2 back.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Poundworld manage to do it without quibble.
          I just hope a friend told you that.....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I just hope a friend told you that.....
            Nope - USB hub and a mouse.

Why pay more?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

You may be able to apply for a 'dispensation', in which case you won't need receipts. Talk to your accountant (when you get one!).

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                You may be able to apply for a 'dispensation', in which case you won't need receipts. Talk to your accountant (when you get one!).
                I don't think a dispensation gurantees you do not need receipts. It would mean not having to report on a P11D and claim in self assessment, so greatly reduces the chance of it being challenged, but HMRC could still challenge if they found out and ask for receipts I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I don't think a dispensation gurantees you do not need receipts. It would mean not having to report on a P11D and claim in self assessment, so greatly reduces the chance of it being challenged, but HMRC could still challenge if they found out and ask for receipts I think.
                  Yes - you would still need to prove the expense was incurred, but not report it on the P11D.

If you get a scale rate agreed, then I don't think you need to keep the receipts.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Yes - you would still need to prove the expense was incurred, but not report it on the P11D.

If you get a scale rate agreed, then I don't think you need to keep the receipts.
                    It's the latter that we agreed.

Comment

Yes that's right. I had no problem getting a reporting dispensation but I was always under the impression that getting a scale rate dispensation was trickier for one-man companies (they are normally designed for umbrellas and the like). If you can get one, fair enough although depending on where you work (*cough* London *cough*) I guess the rates might not always cover your lunch!

Comment

Working...
                      X