• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Role Includes Paying For Work Related Flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the rate. Your normal rate + £100 a day would probably be enough to make it worthwhile if it was one trip a month for a few days. But it would be essential to define the 'few days travel' in the contract so you're not flying back and forth three times a week...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Had call from agent today - they are advertising a role which requires few days travel to European sites each month. Clientco though will not pay for these flights/accom. Agent explained that they are expecting the contractor to pay out of the contractor daily rate and they will also not budge on rate to accommodate.

I have not come across this before, expressed how ludicrous this sounds and politely declined to take the conversation any further.
      Not even worth the conversation, it's just stupid.

Even if the rate was incredibly high, the dates probably wouldn't be well defined, and you'd find them asking "can you just go out again next week", "can you just stay another night" etc which all the while cuts into your profit.

Comment

If the rate is high enough, and you know how often it will happen, then it's a simple matter of working out the costs and seeing if it is worthwhile or not.

But to do that, you'd need the maximum number of days specifying, and the list of locations providing, so that you can work out the maximum cost that you would incur. Failing that, assume that you will be away constantly and work out the costs of that.

As has been said earlier, I don't see it being much different from when I work in London and have to fly down each week - I factor in the costs of staying away into the rate at the start. If it's worthwhile then I take the role, if it isn't then I don't.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Not even worth the conversation, it's just stupid.

Even if the rate was incredibly high, the dates probably wouldn't be well defined, and you'd find them asking "can you just go out again next week", "can you just stay another night" etc which all the while cuts into your profit.
          And could answer "no"
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            And could answer "no"
            Quite, but I wouldn't want to be in that situation in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              How can it be a rate cut if you haven't agreed a rate yet?
              Jesus, the pedants are out today ...

I'm assuming the rate is not very high and (worst case) you'll have to fly somewhere every week. So you have to factor in weekly costs of up to £1000 from the non-negotiable rate.

Obviously, if the rate is otherwise OK and you can define in the contract that you're not away that often, then fill yer boots ...

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
                Jesus, the pedants are out today ...

I'm assuming the rate is not very high and (worst case) you'll have to fly somewhere every week. So you have to factor in weekly costs of up to £1000 from the non-negotiable rate.
                You can factor in the costs and ask for an appropriate rate. Then you propose suitable terms to limit the exposure. The answer may be no, but if you don't ask you don't get.

If everyone else has slammed the phone down at the terror of a "rate cut", then there's a chance you'll get your +£100 pd. for being the only one bothered to negotiate.

Comment

You can factor in the costs and ask for an appropriate rate. Then you propose suitable terms to limit the exposure. The answer may be no, but if you don't ask you don't get.

If everyone else has slammed the phone down at the terror of a "rate cut", then there's a chance you'll get your +£100 pd. for being the only one bothered to negotiate.
                  But if you are told there is no room for negotiation as clientco won't budge, then it is time to chase down the next lead.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    But if you are told there is no room for negotiation as clientco won't budge, then it is time to chase down the next lead.
                    Yep. And/Or post … share the experience on CUK.
                    Last edited by Contreras; 6 November 2014, 23:35. Reason: ;)

Comment

Yep. And/Or post about it on CUK.
                      Correct - I was just sharing the experience with my fellow forumers, as had not come across this situation before.

Comment

Working...
                      X