• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do?

Hi everyone,
    Can I please ask for your opinions/advice?

I'm a BA and I've been with a large retail bank for just over 3yrs now. My current contract finishes in the first week of Jan. They've now offered me a new project - so extension is likely

I got a bit of itchy feet in the meanwhile, so I started testing waters ....

Role1: I had some Solvency2 experience in the past. This is a s-II BA role, 1 yr contract. I am wondering if it"ll do more harm than good going back to Insurance/Solvency-II. Interview scheduled for next week.

Role2: CV submitted by the agent for a role in an IB with bad reputation of walking contractors offsite and 10% cuts. Waiting to hear from them

Role3,4: CV submitted by agencies to two large regulatory bodies. Waiting to hear from them. I know contractors who did 2+ years there.

My questions:

1. How long would you stay with a client? My current client is fantastic. I have a good working relationship with the team I work with. TBH, I'd love to be here, but I'm wondering how long is too long.

2. Would you take up role1 for any reason?

3. Is it best to just turn down role1 interview, forget about role2 and wait for 3/4 to come through?

Thanks
    Bluedrop

Depends whether you want a job or a contract, really.

Your job as a contractor is to earn money for you. Change for the sake of change is not part of the equation, nor is hoping to get a job that you aren't fully skilled in against people who are.

Put it this way; if you have a steady and manageable income stream with a minimum of effort, why would you turn your back on it?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Put it this way; if you have a steady and manageable income stream with a minimum of effort, why would you turn your back on it?
      Exactly this from a business POV. From a personal POV, I dare say most of us became contractors to switch things up occasionally, but there's enough opportunity for that to happen when you weren't planning on it . I'd always stick with a solid gig.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        As long as you're confident that there is no danger of your skills stagnating, there is no reason not to stay put.

Allowing your skills to stagnate will make it much tougher for you when the time does come to move on.

Comment

Another possibility may be smaller, parallel, contracts alongside your main contract. I typically have a few smaller, generally fixed price, things alongside my T&M work. Sometimes they are lucrative, and other times they are a PITA (it's never easy to price them), but they keep things interesting at least. Worth considering if this fits with your line of work...

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
            Hi everyone,
            Can I please ask for your opinions/advice?

I'm a BA and I've been with a large retail bank for just over 3yrs now. My current contract finishes in the first week of Jan. They've now offered me a new project - so extension is likely

I got a bit of itchy feet in the meanwhile, so I started testing waters ....

Role1: I had some Solvency2 experience in the past. This is a s-II BA role, 1 yr contract. I am wondering if it"ll do more harm than good going back to Insurance/Solvency-II. Interview scheduled for next week.

Role2: CV submitted by the agent for a role in an IB with bad reputation of walking contractors offsite and 10% cuts. Waiting to hear from them

Role3,4: CV submitted by agencies to two large regulatory bodies. Waiting to hear from them. I know contractors who did 2+ years there.

My questions:

1. How long would you stay with a client? My current client is fantastic. I have a good working relationship with the team I work with. TBH, I'd love to be here, but I'm wondering how long is too long.

2. Would you take up role1 for any reason?

3. Is it best to just turn down role1 interview, forget about role2 and wait for 3/4 to come through?

Thanks
            Bluedrop
            A BA who cant make their own decisions!? I think you need mumsnet.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
            X