• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange phone interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    really? This guy has virtually brought the company into the 21st century when it comes to automated testing, he knows more than a bit of automation that's for sure. The framework we've built here is very flexible and robust but then I suppose we only know a little bit about automation. Yet when they had a actual developer write a test suite that's when it ended up a tangled mess and that's what we had to sort out. It's not always about knowing the term for everything I think it's much more useful to be to apply it practically.
    The exact same reasoning could be applied to any developer (including really good ones) - yet you suggest that it's a silly question not in it's own right, but because they guy was a developer in test.

Having experienced a poor developer making a mess does nothing to change that.

The point is that a 'developer in test' is a developer - with focus in test automation. If questions about polymorphism is good for a developer, then it's good for a developer in test too.

If the guy is self-taught and doesn't know what polymorphism is, then he is almost certainly not going to be a 'good' developer. Good (which is obviously a relative term) developers read and study outside of work - and it's literally impossible to do that without absorbing terms such as polymorphism, etc.

Like I said, developer in test is a developer who focuses on test automation - not a tester who knows enough coding to get by. Otherwise the title dev in test wouldn't exist, as automation tester would suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      I thought PS said they didn't take him?
      PC
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        PC
        FFS - two letters and I get one completely wrong!!!

Although, it is a better hit rate than normal tbh.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          The exact same reasoning could be applied to any developer (including really good ones) - yet you suggest that it's a silly question not in it's own right, but because they guy was a developer in test.

Having experienced a poor developer making a mess does nothing to change that.

The point is that a 'developer in test' is a developer - with focus in test automation. If questions about polymorphism is good for a developer, then it's good for a developer in test too.

If the guy is self-taught and doesn't know what polymorphism is, then he is almost certainly not going to be a 'good' developer. Good (which is obviously a relative term) developers read and study outside of work - and it's literally impossible to do that without absorbing terms such as polymorphism, etc.

Like I said, developer in test is a developer who focuses on test automation - not a tester who knows enough coding to get by. Otherwise the title dev in test wouldn't exist, as automation tester would suffice.
          I think you'll find Developer-in-Test are more people who've learned to develop than the other way around, but what would I know about it having attended SDET and test gatherings around London. The developer wasn't poor he was actually quite talented but a lot of people don't realise that testing is an actual skill and not everyone can test, it's like the difference between checking and testing.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
          X