• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home allowed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always bring it up when speaking to the client about their requirements the first time I speak to them, some allow it, others dont or others will allow it but it depends on the project (who your working with, what your working on etc).

I understand it isn't as efficient to be working on the customers site all day every day with travel to and from been seen as "dead time" but that's life.

I've also had clients who have been messed around by contractors in the past - some working on site too, which wont help at all.

The best approach is to see whether they would allow it, don't ask in the first week unless you've spoken to them during the interview, build up your reputation to provide a really good service and work and then try and see if you can wiggle the odd day or two at home and go from there.

I tend to find the larger corporates wont allow it but the smaller companies will.

I always tend to offer a slightly reduced rate from working from home, this usually helps too ;-)

GE

Comment

If you hire a lawyer try telling him you want him to work where you tell him. Tell the client you work out your own office at the interview unless there is a strong reason you need to be in the client's office you will be doing that. You can be contacted via email, telephone and video conferencing if required.

Comment

You do UX. You have to work closely with users and / or product owners / and or developers. While there may be some elements you can do completely independently, your role is largely collaborative. I would expect you to be on client site most if not all of your time, be realistic about the kind of work you do and the general expectation from your clients of whether or not they naturally expect you to be on site. If you don't like the location, don't sign the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          UX stands for User eXperiance.
          I always thought it stood for User eXperience.

You live and learn.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Gulliver View Post
            "Location
            7.1 The Company shall have the right, subject to the Client’s approval, to determine the location at which the Specified Services will be provided."
            Options:

1) Get the approval, work from home, everyone happy
            2) Don't get the approval, work from home, breach the contract, risk contract termination for breach

It's not a difficult choice.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I did UX research at my previous contract (public sector). Since I had to do research and mock-ups/website testing and had to deal directly with users I had to be on site every day, but I've never seen any of the UX designers on site. They were all working from their office. Tons of emails and calls but that was it.

So, to the open poster, I'd say to make a case and keep trying because it's definitely doable. Good luck

Comment

Now, I work as a UX designer contractor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience_design), I could do all my work from home, but it is generally "expected" that I work at the client's premises. It's like an unspoken rule. Every other UX, graphic design or web developer contractor I know do this.

But I can't get the thought out of my mind to work from home. It's a waste of time to commute and I'm much more efficient working at home at my own setup. Especially with the IR35 in place.

My contract states the following:

"Location
                7.1 The Company shall have the right, subject to the Client’s approval, to determine the location at which the Specified Services will be provided."

So, as far as I can tell, legally I could work from home. But what is this Client's approval? Can they disapprove my right?
                To be frank, if I tell my client that I would like to work from home, they will just say "What??" The works is at XY street, London. If I insist on my right I guess they would fire me. Or can they?

My notice period is immediate and I'm through a recruitment agency.

My question is: has anyone ever tried to use their right to work from home? If so how to go about this?
                The bit in bold is the give away, if they say yes fair enough, if not suck it up big man
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Now, I work as a UX designer contractor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience_design), I could do all my work from home, but it is generally "expected" that I work at the client's premises. It's like an unspoken rule. Every other UX, graphic design or web developer contractor I know do this.
                  An assumed working practice, then. Have you considered challenging it?

But I can't get the thought out of my mind to work from home. It's a waste of time to commute and I'm much more efficient working at home at my own setup. Especially with the IR35 in place.
                  Politely inform your client contact by email that you will be out of the office and available by telephone. You might be pleasantly surprised by the reaction or lack thereof.

My contract states the following:

"Location
                  Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission. Do it, see what they say. If they don't disapprove, do it again and you'll probably find other people will start doing it as well.

If they disapprove, don't do it again. Simples.

So, as far as I can tell, legally I could work from home. But what is this Client's approval? Can they disapprove my right?
                  Yes, legally you can. Yes, contractually they can deny your request.

To be frank, if I tell my client that I would like to work from home, they will just say "What??" The works is at XY street, London. If I insist on my right I guess they would fire me. Or can they?
                  Again, try it, see what they say.

My notice period is immediate and I'm through a recruitment agency.
                  That's tulip isn't it? I'd renegotiate that if you get to a renewal.

My question is: has anyone ever tried to use their right to work from home? If so how to go about this?
                  Covered several times above. Run along now, you have an email to write.

Don't ask - state. You're a business, not an employee. Behave like one.
                  Last edited by 7specialgems; 2 October 2014, 16:17.

Comment

Start gently - say you need to work from home 1 day next week to wait in for a delivery. If that causes no problems then speak to them about doing it more often.

I had a client once where me being out of the office (even on an unpaid day off!) caused him to flap. A lot. So I worked solidly from his offices for 6 months without a break & then turned down the extension. It was a tiny office & really, really noisy so my productivity was much lower than at home - but it just wasn't worth the hassle arguing with him.

Comment

Some places simply don't get full time working from home.

And it IS a still quite a new concept.

Me? Other than having the flexibility if I need to wait for a delivery or something like that, I absolutely prefer being in an office.

I prefer working next to project team members, or just within the general dev team, even if they are working on other projects. You get to know people better, and that can make life a lot easier if you need someones help with something.

And while it might sound permie-like, it gives you the chance to network and build friendships which can help with renewals or bringing you back in the future. You are more likely to be asked back if you got on with people on site, have coffee/lunch with people etc.

Of course, the quality of your work should be the only factor, but we all know it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X