• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever terminated a contract JUST for the money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

Accepted a contract during a bit of a downturn about eight years or so ago after going through the costs very, very carefully. The role way away from home and not very high a rate. £200 per day I think.

Stuck it out for 4 months but the contract was actually costing me money.
    It was a strange 12 hour shift thing where there was lots of time off.

Decided to abandon ship due to the costs issues one month before the end.

Have not regretted it as it was just financially crazy but thought that I could make it work but I couldn't.

Left another contract when due to renew as the rate was (low: £250) after requesting an increase.
    Client not really bothered as only 25% of the people there did any work anyway.
    I was one of the "workers" but the client was not bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I haven't. I would only consider it if it were a LOT more money - some niche speciality compared to a regular coding role - and to be honest in that situation I'd rather expect the client to understand when I explained to them.
      I am not having a go because my instincts are with you so I turned the issue around.

Say I had commissioned a small builder to build a conservatory and I had promised it to the family for Xmas. Grandparents and cousins visiting for the duration and we need the extra room. Builder then pulls out because better job offered and no time to get somebody in to complete the work.

Understanding? No I would be wanting to tear his head off and shout down the hole!

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
        I am not having a go because my instincts are with you so I turned the issue around.

Say I had commissioned a small builder to build a conservatory and I had promised it to the family for Xmas. Grandparents and cousins visiting for the duration and we need the extra room. Builder then pulls out because better job offered and no time to get somebody in to complete the work.

Understanding? No I would be wanting to tear his head off and shout down the hole!
        Then you'd make sure that the contract with the builder said this i.e. no option for the builder to walk away early.
        If you agree to put a clause in there that they can terminate (or you can) part way through the work then thats your fault isnt it?

Think about it:-

Client: OK, we want you here for six months without a notice to leave.
        Contractor <thinking>: Hmm what if it turns out to be crap - Im stuck.
        Client: We'll pay premium rate.
        Contractor: OK deal.

But what happens in reality iis:-

Client: Heres the rate, take it or leave it.
        Client <thinking>: Better leave this notice clause in there otherwise they'll want a better rate. Anyway, these contractors are so dull they've got this stupid idea in their head that they cant invoke a legal clause in their contract. But we'll leave it there so I can get rid of them if I run out of cash as well!

And then they throw a wobbler when it happens...
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X