• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer contract market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer contract market

Is it just me or is it really slow at the moment??

Your question is meaningless unless you specify what market you are talking about? C#, Java, JavaScript, DevOps, Ada...?

Comment

C#/ .net

Comment

Yes, that market is slow because C# development has been commoditised to high heaven. HTH.

Comment

A lot of contractor developer and tester roles have been offshored over the last year or so, particularly banks but not only. You need to be in a niche or look at companies where it isn't worth their while. The company I work for now uses only offshored contractors, but they try to keep a 50 50 split between perm and contractors.

Plenty of permie jobs, so no need to panic, eventually as some contractors move into perm roles, supply and demand should even out.

I suspect if you spread the net wide and are prepared to travel you should get something.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 August 2014, 15:28.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Cwjobs currently returns 106 contract roles for that skillset.

Where are you based, as there seems a decent spread over the UK, + 1 in the IOM for a hedge fund, ooh 350 to 450pd get yer CV in.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Cwjobs currently returns 106 contract roles for that skillset.

Where are you based, as there seems a decent spread over the UK, + 1 in the IOM for a hedge fund, ooh 350 to 450pd get yer CV in.

qh
              +1, I'm mainly a Java dev but have C# on my CV from when I dabbled in it a while ago, I get loads of agents contacting me about dot net roles, not finance admittedly and the rates are tulipe but there are roles out there.

Comment

Things are slow irrespective of the programming language for developer contracts at the moment. Beware of fake job postings and time wasters using you to search for leads, especially references up front.

There are loads of open permie roles though, and my guess is that clients will be more open to contractors filling those roles as people come back from holiday and work needs to get done.

Basically if you can hang on through August then things should start picking up in September.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderboy View Post
                  Your question is meaningless unless you specify what market you are talking about? C#, Java, JavaScript, DevOps, Ada...?
                  Aah Ada, one of the languages I did at university, the lecturers kept banging on about how it was a wonderful language and C++ was cr@p, market forces have proved otherwise

Comment

Working...
                  X