• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most agencies I've worked through will provide a standard letter headed PDF letter if asked nicely.
    Usually they state the dates you contracted at clientco, plus if the agent is good they'll specify how many extensions you had whilst there .
    I think that is all another agency should really need. i.e. did they make up this stuff on their CV or not?
    edit: also, if you were there for at least 3-6 months that is self-evident that you were good enough, or you'd be terminated quite quickly.

Completely agree the agent shouldn't need to phone up anybody you worked with for technical assurances, the agent isn't going to know what they're talking about to judge.

Comment

I've just had one agency telling me how their client wants to speak to my previous client contacts to vouch that I have done the job, which the agency cannot do. I laughed and told the agency to bugger off. I told the agency in a previous email, if they want to get the client details from the previous agency I have been contracted through, they are more than welcome to ask. It's a phishing exercise the agency uses to get them new contacts..... nothing more, unless it's a public sector organisation.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

So, this recruiter is asking for 2 technical references for a role he's putting me forward for because the company requires it..

Is he full of it? End of the call, I basically lip synced what he said 'so what i now need from you is 2 technical references from your last 2 roles.'

Too predictable?

Comment

Originally posted by maxedvolume View Post
          So, this recruiter is asking for 2 technical references for a role he's putting me forward for because the company requires it..

Is he full of it? End of the call, I basically lip synced what he said 'so what i now need from you is 2 technical references from your last 2 roles.'

Too predictable?
          Totally predictable and blatantly obvious.
          Odds are the whole conversation was simply a vehicle for that question and the role will mysteriously disappear. You can expect to hear from that agent again in a few months with exactly the same line as they assume we forget the bulltulip they used the last time.

Comment

I think he's used this line so many times he can tell whether the person on the other line is actually going to go with it or not.

Maybe I when lip-synced, i made noise and he heard.. lol.

Haven't heard from him. Typical.

What would the agent do with a technical references though is what i'm curious about...

Comment

Originally posted by maxedvolume View Post
              ...lately I've been interacting with recruiters that wants references up front to guard their reputation..
              No, you've been interacting with con artists that want you to give them sales leads; isn't this patently obvious to you?

Comment

Working...
              X