• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preference for training staff in new system - classroom or via virtual training sessi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preference for training staff in new system - classroom or via virtual training sessi

Has anyone done a mass roll-out using virtual training courses? I'm thinking of using this approach as the the organisation has not got sufficient training rooms to accommodate the number of staff.

It's for a CRM system training.

What do you think?

Are the end-users already vaguely familiar with the system, or is it going to be completely new to them? If it's completely new to them, then a virtual class may make it difficult for the users to appreciate everything that they need to learn.

Are you looking to run the course with remote access, or have a recorded session for the users to run through in their own time? If so, then you need to look at some kind of metrics afterwards to check that they have understood the key parts rather than just saying they did the training because they have to.

If you are delivering in person, I think you'll get better results, because you can gauge better the level of comprehension in your audience than you will ever get from a virtual training course. Unless you can rely on the audience to ask questions or ask for help when they need it remotely, then you will be hard-pushed to get the same level of understanding.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks - I was thinking a "live" virtual session rather than recorded. It's a totally new system so like you say it might be a bit daunting. I was thinking of small virtual classes rather than lots of people at once.

Comment

I've run virtual training courses and I think that if you use a combination of video (for instructor interaction) and Webinar (for the whiteboard) it works quite well.

I would advise not to mix classroom with video though - the remote audience always loses out in my experience.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
          Thanks - I was thinking a "live" virtual session rather than recorded. It's a totally new system so like you say it might be a bit daunting. I was thinking of small virtual classes rather than lots of people at once.
          If you are going for multiple small classes, and you are not aiming at one massive session for the entire staff, why dismiss the delivering in person?

It also depends on the skill level / age of the staff. People over 40 tend to prefer in person and are often confused by online systems. Same goes for people with low IT skills.

Comment

Space is the real issue - I will investigate further and look for a training venue. I accept the point about older learners, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

You could look to develop some e-learning as a pre-requisite to the class to ensure some knowledge before the virtual classrooms start.

I'm a learning technologies consultant, and I think your suggestion re: virtual training classes is a good one. I can give you some pointers about how to make it successful. First, and major one: make it interactive and engaging. If it's just a trainer droning on, you will lose your user engagement. Have the trainer know who is in attendance, and sporadically ask them questions throughout the session, this will keep users engaged and listening.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                If you are going for multiple small classes, and you are not aiming at one massive session for the entire staff, why dismiss the delivering in person?

It also depends on the skill level / age of the staff. People over 40 tend to prefer in person and are often confused by online systems. Same goes for people with low IT skills.
                Wow, that's quite the assumption Sal. Not sure I agree with that at all. It's true that some older people are confused, but the trend is decreasing and you're almost as likely to see an 18-25 year old confounded as you are a 40-50 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  Wow, that's quite the assumption Sal. Not sure I agree with that at all. It's true that some older people are confused, but the trend is decreasing and you're almost as likely to see an 18-25 year old confounded as you are a 40-50 year old.
                  It's not an assumption nor am i trying to discriminate an age group, it's just an observation of real life. Older people tend to prefer in person interactions largely because they are used to that, because that's how they got their education in school / Uni. 18-25 year old are largely used to multimedia content in their study and are all-in-all more "in-tune" with the tech. Even if the trend is decreasing it's still there.

That is not to say that EVERY 40+ will be unable to comprehend an online course, or that 18-25 will get it for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X