• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance and Convictions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I would say that any chance of progression through the ranks would leave you stymied. It sounds as though you have some problems of your own that need to be dealt with? You are either brave or ignorant posting on this forum?
    Well, once I get through those problems, I'd like to think my father's won't affect my potential career?

Comment

I would suggest that you do not include him on your SC application. Just write "estranged" in sections that ask for his info.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
        I would suggest that you do not include him on your SC application. Just write "estranged" in sections that ask for his info.
        Well he doesn't live with me, so I should think that would go in my favour, although how could they check that he isn't estranged? Or is what my father is to me astranged? i.e. I only see him once a month/ two months

Comment

A friend of mine wrote estranged on his application as he has never got on with his dad and didn't want his dad's past to ruin his job prospects. No checks were made.

He was SC cleared and no questions were asked. Families break up - it's a fact of life. People fall out, it's nothing unusual. It's your application so I suggest you think about what you want to do. If it was me there is no way I would be including his info at all. The choice is yours.

Comment

Can I suggest discussing how to get around the clearance process on a public forum is possibly not the smartest idea you've had today...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Can I suggest discussing how to get around the clearance process on a public forum is possibly not the smartest idea you've had today...
              But I'm, so ironically clever my name is Persec...

Comment

Originally posted by PERSEC View Post
                For the Royal Navy/Royal Marines you do.
                You didn't need/get SC clearance as a Marine 10 years ago. Perhaps its's a navy thing. Unless it's new and applies to both.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  You didn't need/get SC clearance as a Marine 10 years ago. Perhaps its's a navy thing. Unless it's new and applies to both.
                  That's because anyone in the military is under constant supervision and will only be exposed to material that is deemed necessary for their role. But they will have been vetted before they were allowed to join.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    and will only be exposed to material that is deemed necessary for their role.
                    Not entirely true. But that's what I would have thought. It looks as though things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by PERSEC View Post
                      Well, once I get through those problems, I'd like to think my father's won't affect my potential career?
                      I completed 22 years in the Royal Navy Submarine Service and retired as a warrant officer having joined the navy at 18 with no qualifications.

I can tell you now that if you get in* YOUR career progression will depend on YOUR hard work (or lack of) - the navy (or indeed whichever service you choose) will not make judgements based on your family history. Everyone has skeletons in the cupboard, just be honest about them.

*I use the term 'if' because I think the decision will be made based upon personnel requirements of the navy, rather than your record. That said, if they have more applicants than vacancies then they will be choosy - but welcome to life :-)

Either way, best of luck and I hope you get in. The first 22 years are the worst, after that it's a doddle - except you wont get a pension like I do :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X