• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed

i am looking at becoming a contract engineer, where i will be working with different clients. one for 4 weeks then a different one after that.
    im a bit scared of the ir35 question, also should i be ltd or umbrella, and how do i keep my exwife and her boyfriend away from my cash.
    i've got so much to ask but can get it on the screen.
    If anyone could help with the above first and i will put more on later.

Cheers
    Fjpcad

Read the first timers guide both here -->

and on the PCG (www.pcg.org.uk)

There's also a thread on Ltd vs brolly etc at the top of the legal/acc forum.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread7487.html

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by fjpcad
      i am looking at becoming a contract engineer, where i will be working with different clients. one for 4 weeks then a different one after that.
      im a bit scared of the ir35 question, also should i be ltd or umbrella, and how do i keep my exwife and her boyfriend away from my cash.
      i've got so much to ask but can get it on the screen.
      If anyone could help with the above first and i will put more on later.

Cheers
      Fjpcad

If you have an ex-wife then go limited, reduce your drawings from the company and expense as much as possible. That should help. If you go brolly then pretty much all of your turnover becomes salary which, if you pay maintenance based on salary - is not good...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

so limited company, i am also a carer which mean my NI is protected even if i earn a very small amount.
        does this make a difference.

Cheers
        FJPCAD

Comment

so limited company, i am also a carer which mean my NI is protected even if i earn a very small amount.
          does this make a difference.

Cheers
          FJPCAD
          You don't pay NI on dividends (well at least not yet until El Gordo decides that's the future...)
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

nearly there

right! setup limited company that runs on only expences and no wages. a 3 monthly dividend as well????

Comment

right! setup limited company that runs on only expences and no wages. a 3 monthly dividend as well????
              Pay yourself wages at national minimum wage and take the rest as dividends. Only do that if you actually trust getting a state pension one day.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

ni

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                Pay yourself wages at national minimum wage and take the rest as dividends. Only do that if you actually trust getting a state pension one day.

my ni is cover by my carers allowance if i earn less than £84 a week.

Comment

my ni is cover by my carers allowance if i earn less than £84 a week.
                  Which I'm paying for. Argh!
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Are you suggesting i should pay it!
                    is it not the same as reducing TAX?

Comment

Working...
                    X